1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones won't work on DVD/CD drives.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Jedi Writer, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I've got Windows XP Home Edition. I've had the computer for two years.

The DVD and CD/RW ROM work fine. They play all the audio/video CDs I have perfectly fine.

But when I plug in my new headphones nothing happens. No sound comes through the headphones. The sound continues to come through my external speakers and if there is an video it continues uninterrupted.

I've taken the headphones and plugged them into my separte unrelated to the computer amplifier and tuner system and the headphones work fine.

I am stumped!

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Whoa... You sure you tried the other ports?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Hey JW, simple question, did you hook up the DVD's output to the soundcard? They provide a cable just for that. Simple check, plug into the audio on the front of the drive. Do you have sound there?

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Optimally: Plug them into the headphone jack in your speakers

Otherwise: Have you tried plugging them into the headphone jack on the CD-ROM itself or just the back of the computer? If you've tried one, try the other...

5. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

What I did was purchase a splitter with a toggle switch on it from Radio Shack. Now I can just flick the switch to listen through my speakers or my headphones.

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I don't have sound from the audio jacks on the front of either the DVD or CD ROM drives. If I unplug the speaker cable from "speaker 1 plug in the back of the computer and plug in the headphones they work---but I find that inconvenient--have to pull the tower out from its "space" turn it around, unplug and replug all the color coded cords, etc. Pluging the headphones into sound speaker # 2 does nothing. In fact # 2 doesn't seem to do anything that I can see.

Finally I have two plugs color coded not in use. One says "digital out" and other just has the sound emblem over it but it too seems to do nothing.

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Jedi,

Does you soundcard have options similar to these?

I have to change mine to *headphones* for the headphones to work as you describe.

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Yes, but changing it has no effect one way or another. Thanks.

9. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

A splitter like I mentioned costs about $5 and will solve the problem.

10. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Thanks for the tip but the speakers don't have any external jacks for headphones.

Bottom line is after talkin to Dell the only way I can use the headset is uplug the speakers from the tower and plug the headphones into the back of the tower.

HOW CONVENIENT!

11. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Jedi,

I know you likely don't want to invest in new speakers to get the functionality you seek but Klipsch speakers come with their own headphone jack. I'm guessing many other manufacturers have this same type of thing available.

I can plug right into the headphone jack on the speaker and be off and running.

12. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough.

<li> I took a 2' piece of speaker wire and plugged it into the back of my computer.
    <li> I plugged the splitter w/toggle switch into that.
    <li> I plugged the speakers into one outlet from the splitter.
    <li> I plugged the headphones into the other outlet from the splitter.

Now, when I want to switch between speakers and headphones, all it takes is a simple flick of the switch. As you have already stated that your headphones work fine from the speaker jack on your tower, this will solve the problem with a $5 investment at Radio Shack.

13. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

You probably explained it just fine for a computer literate person but for dummies like me--hey what can I say. Yes I can see what you have described would work.

Thanks again.

14. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Excellent choice in sound card, Mid!

I love that I can leave the headphones plugged in to the VersaJack and toggle the settings between those and the speakers. (Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 ... a bit old, but still awesome sound!)

15. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Funny you should mention that topic. No I don't have the money for a new speaker system. But in talking to the Dell tech I told her truthfully how much I've been pleased with my two year old Dell System but the only regret I had from day one was the quality of the speakers and sound card. They are OK---but just OK.

I wished I had upgraded the card and gone THX. If I had known at the time that I would eventually be watching all my DVD movies on the computer I would have done so in a heart beat.

In every other way my computer has been great. It matches very closely either ethics or Shiny's based on a post they had several weeks ago.

1 GIG CPU Pentium III
    19 inch monitor
    512 MB RAM (XP loves its RAM)
    32 MB DDR Radeon Graphics card
    80 Gig HD
    DVD ROM
    CD/RW 2nd drive

16. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Then I just mounted the toggle switch onto the side of my tower with a piece of rubber padding with adhesive on both sides. Works like a charm when I wanna hear some Ozzy and my son's sleeping.

<small>(OR THE WIFE'S BITCHIN' ABOUT THE JAMS BEING TOO LOUD)</SMALL>

17. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

You have a solid system there Jedi. I have a Dell 8100 (approaching two years) and upgraded to the Santa Cruz card when I ordered it. The speaker system shipped with the system was actually not bad. Two champagne glass looking speakers and the sub woofer, I cannot speak to integrated sound on Dell systems because that I did not have. I maintain an HP system with integrated sound and have found integrated sound on the HP to be marginal quality at best.

Being a DVD and music addict I immediately upgraded the speaker system to Klipsch Promedia 2.1, two satellite speakers and a subwoofer with it's own pre-amp. I have used my system for outdoor parties at my local boat club as well as inside a hall for a graduation party. The Santa Cruz, in combination with the Klipsch speakers makes for one great multimedia system. I agree with Demi that Turte Beach likely makes the best sound cards out there. It just appears they aren't available in many retail outlets and have to be ordered on the net.

Haywire's suggestion is a good one if you have a need to regularly switch back and forth from the speakers to the headphones. For the short term it will work fine and provide the functionality you seek.

Actually I have to do the same thing as you with my second headset because it has a mic, so I feel your frustration. I made it a point to mount my case so that I can readily access the ports on the back of it.

All in all though I think the Dell case is engineered quite nicely. Working inside is a breeze with the swing away case cover and power supply.

If you go THX please let us know how it sounds. I'm not there yet with the 2.1's. I would have to go 5.1 Klipsch to get that perk :)

18. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Or if Audio isn't the #1 thing on your list of computer upgrades, but you still like good sound, I just got some Altec Lansing 251 speakers that have a headphone jack on them. Best Buy has a deal on them. $99.99 and you can get a free $25 gift card by mail.