1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HBO to offer internet streaming next year

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This is pretty huge.

With HBO doing this, I see the other "premium" channels doing something similar. Any bets that the cable and dsl providers jack up the prices to cover lost revenue via their TV services?

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I thought their prices were already jacked up. We have DSL and it isn't fast enough for streaming in our rural area, as far as I can tell. A lot of videos on the Internet are painfully slow. Our ISP offer wireless as a faster and pricier alternative, but I read somewhere that the phone company then steps in to slow that down too. When we first moved up here and went on DSL, it would trickle down to dreadfully slow at times. We'd call our ISP about it. They'd blame Verizon, and Verizon would blame them. Then Verizon would come out and tinker with something outside, and it would be better for a while. Verizon then sold out to Frontier, but our cell tower on top of Kamiak Butte in Washington State is from Verizon.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I am so there.

After I cut the cord (except for local channel service, which actually reduced my total FIOS bill), Verizon sent me an email that said "Because you're such a loyal customer, we're giving you HBO for free, no strings attached." I think it lasts until January, which hopefully will be just in time for me to pick it up a la carte.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Problem is that most major cable companies are the bandwidth providers. They can't lose.

5. Biker

Yep. So whatever revenue they lose to TV, they'll just jack up the difference in Internet fees.

ethics likes this.
  6. Biker

In addition to that, any bets we'll see them drag out the old "not enough bandwidth" bullshit they've pulled in the past?

7. ethics

Of course, par for the course. What we need is an independent bandwidth provider. Vonage used to be that company but nothing in NY/NJ can compare with the cable/FIOS. (FIOS, btw, charges you MORE for internet if you get rid of Cable).

8. ethics

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

I wish Fox News Channel would offer a streaming subscription. I'm embarrassed to admit that with the expensive cable package I have I hardly ever watch anything but Fox. I have a premium channel package I have never looked at once, in almost a year. I'm just not a TV person.

I blab Fox during the day when I'm working, and after dinner I usually retire to reading. Lucky for the TV business there aren't more people like me or there wouldn't be any TV as we know it.

I would definitely subscribe to Internet + Fox only if that were an option.

10. Biker