1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have Questions?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Folks,

I'll be outward bound again this February, spending the Chinese New Year in Beijing, then the following week in Hong Kong. Given all that's gone on over the past few months, and with the PRC apparently resolute in its intention to crush democracy in HK, it does promise to be an interesting back-to-back trip into lunacy.

Anyone have any key issues they would like me to scope out? I am sorry, but nuclear weapons verification in North Korea is likely not to be an agenda item.

I expect to be outward bound on 30 January, with a return date of 19 February.

SM

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Can I come?

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Check out the Wanchai (sp) ? District for me in Hong Kong.

I spent 6 weeks there once in the US Navy.
    I remember Typhoon Rose going through in my period there.
    Killed a hundred people on some ferry.
    Sometime in 1971 or 72. I am getting to old to remember anymore.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I suspect there's no need to remind you that the houris are an issue of much concern here in the U.S. ;)

5. Sierra Mike

Wanchai, yeah...I'll actually be lurking about in the Causeway Bay area, which is right next door. No problem. :)

SM

6. Sierra Mike

Houris? In China or Hong Kong? What?

SM

7. Sierra Mike

Summertime for you. I have to travel lean and mean this time, because I'm about to outsmart myself--meaning Jinglin and Mae might find out about each other and I might wind up dead.

SM

8. Coot

Yes. Or as ditch would put it....petite, olive skinned, black hair, almond eyes ;)

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I might be doing Armenia/Turkey in June though. When you going in summer?

10. Sierra Mike

Oh...sorry, I automatically visualized a Middle Eastern woman with that descriptor, and was wondering what was with the non sequitor.

SM

11. Sierra Mike

Not sure...I'd hate to go in August, though. :)

SM

12. Coot

Actually, in the more recent parlance, it can mean almost any comely woman.

13. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

actually I'd be curious to see any underground student newspapers that are being circulated on the mainland. as well as a slight analysis on the political persecution on HK and how it differs from the mainland. Be careful of course, no ending up a political prisoner on my behalf :p

14. Sierra Mike

Hmm...

I can't even talk with the common Chinese about their Ministry for Public Security (or Safety, it might be called now) which is their version of the FBI. I'm sure there are underground zines and such flashing back and forth, but I've never seen them...I'll have to look into it.

The political persecution on HK hasn't really hit the pages yet, but I'm sure it will. The thing is, the Hongkies are not extremely vocal politically, so it'll be like pulling teeth to find out what's going on. But I'll do my best. :)

What happened with your Taiwan paper?

SM

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I'd be interested in your take on whether internet access has changed how the common person in the street perceives the international scene. Does the government view still hold the only sway? I realize they can restrict what sites are allowed but once the genie is out of the bottle, how do you put him back in?

Also, since you will be going away when times as the Chinese say may get 'interesting', I send you off with this as even a highly competent helo pilot can always use a good wingman guarding his 'six':

'May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, May the rain fall soft upon your fields, And until we meet again May God hold you in the palm of His hand'

Mike

16. Sierra Mike

Why, thank you--though I doubt I'll be facing any true peril in either China or HK. I daresay I'm much safer in either place than in the US. :)

SM

17. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I received a C with the reccomndation that I contact his friend from the PRC embassy for more accurate information......

nice to know he is impartial :)

18. jamming

jamming Banned

Great to know.....................

Steve, if you get into trouble just know that Ethics and I will be there for you man, will come to China to break you out, and they'll probably let us all share the same one person cell. ;)

19. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

So does that mean we ladies are going to have to be as Mata Hari to come get you fellows????? Damn, I don't know that there are quite enough GA dollars betwixt you... ;)

20. Sierra Mike

No shit?? By all means, contest it. I'll bet you soup to nuts he's blowing it out of his ass. What was it exactly that he cited?

Or, if you like, PM me his email...I'll be more than happy to dash him. :)

SM