1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hats off to Netflix

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Aug 16, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In case you missed one of the most popular stories of the day.

Although Blockbuster sat on its heels for a long time while NetFlix gobbled up market share, the company has aggressively fought back this year, prompting a lot of pain at NetFlix. NetFlix stock has been pummeled lately as its been drawn into a price war in order to stem customer churn. The problem is that its business model is easily replicated, which partly explains the company's attempt to assert a patent on it. However, the company does appear willing to actually compete, which is refreshing. The New York Times reports on the company's unorthodox decision to offer customer support services from friendly sounding Oregonions (as the company puts it), rather than rely on offshoring or email support.

H/T Techdirt!

2. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

That right there was my biggest complaint when working a call center. Our calls had to average a certain number of minutes. This resulted in techs rushing some customers and artifically inflating the length of other calls. I decided to trash that idea and just serve my customers as best I could. I was yelled at on occasion but no customer ever complained about me and I resolved my callers issues as the first tech they talked to (that call anyway.) I took pride in my customer service but the stress of the constant badgering from the guys with the stopwatch was making me physically ill. I PAID to leave that job and that was some of the best money I ever spent. I applaud Netflix decision here.