1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate Crimes in the US

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From MSNBC...hopefully, they read the statistics properly.

Hate Crime Stats

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A horrible thing, of course, but one does pause and say, "That's IT?"

Out of 287 million people, I'd say more people were a target of being a innocent bystander than of hate crime.
  3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I don't condone hatered, but I also don't condone legislating thoughts. I am 100% against special hate crime legislation. If somebody hates white people and guns me down on the street, please charge that person with murder(hopefully ATTEMPTED murder) - not for hating white people.

That said, I find it interesting that they didn't include the 3,000+ deaths from 9/11/01 as being attributed to a hate crime(s).
  4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Re: Re: Hate Crimes in the US

Seems to fit the mold, doesn't it RR? I also imagine many will pick up this story and report only the 1600% increase without reporting the raw numbers.
  5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm sure they will. :)

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: Hate Crimes in the US

Yep, and next year, when it drops back down to where it was, I doubt that there will be any stories on how much hate crimes have gone down.

Considering the circumstances, it only makes sense that this has happened to Muslims. I don't condone it, though. I don't care where you come from. If you love the USA and would never harm it in any way, you don't deserve to be treated the way some Muslims were following 9/11/01. I also feel that the 3,000+ people who died didn't deserve to be murdered. If that wasn't a hate crime, then I don't know what is.
  7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I agree with Redline. You should not be able to increase a sentence because of your thoughts. Hate crime legislation is feel good BS. I hope when the SC gets a chance they strike it down.
  8. Domh

Domh Full Member

"well son, yer guilty of beatin that homosexual to death with a bat, and thatll get ya life in prison, but sayin as ya HATE homosexuals, an ya murdered with hate, instead of plain old vanilla anger, we's givin ya the chair!"

Its not illegal to hate something.

9. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Say a black person gets pissed at a white person and busts a bottle over his head. He is charged with assault with a deadly weapon and faces hypothetically say 5 years in prison. No problem right? Not for me.

Ah, but when he hits the guy he says you white trash. Naturally he should get 10 years instead of 5 because now its a hate crime! Give me a break.

Then there is the really sad but true lesson from the most famous hate crime in this country.

Joe: "Did you hear about the brutal murder in Texas?"

Bob: "No, but I am sure it was another senseless act. It happens everyday. I am surprised it made the news."

Joe: "They dragged the man behind a pickup truck and he was literally dragged to death!"

Bob: "Wow, definitely not a good way to go. Again, it is senseless! Some day maybe we will get civilized." (Bob reaches for another Bud.)

Joe: "The man was black and the killers were white!"

Bob: "This is an outrage!! They all should get the gas chamber, but not before we torture them. (Bob begins to foam at the mouth and drops his Bud.)

This crime shows our mentality and priorities as a whole.

We should have been repelled because a human being who was a father and a husband was murdered. But sadly we have become so desensitized we don't care that much about that part.

What we do care about is that it was a hate crime!

Where are our priorities?
  10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree with all of your comments so far, everyone. Let's not forget about the whole Matthew Shepard incident. He was murdered because he was gay. The motives should have nothing to do with the punishment, in my opinion. Anybody who takes the life of another human being(with few exceptions) deserves life in prison at the very least. Whether or not they did it as an act of hatred towards a whole group of people is irrelevant to me.

Does anyone remember the race related riots that happened in Cincinnati recently? There were clear cases of blacks attacking only white people, but were they charged with hate crime legislation? I can't remember how that ever turned out. Apparently, some only want it to work to the benefit of minorities. I don't want it to work for anyone.
  11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Whoa... Excellent post, Jedi.