1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvard looking to step on the slippery slope

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 21, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Harvard is considering a policy to ban offensive speech. This from one of the most prestigious law schools in our country. Censorship at an institution that studies First Amendment rights? How about banning the whiners? Grow up.

Harvard Mulls Offensive Speech Ban

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Harvard Law School is considering a ban on offensive speech after a series of racially charged incidents, raising fears that the rules will inhibit the kind of sharp-edged intellectual combat so famously depicted in the movie "The Paper Chase."

In the meantime, the school is also offering first-year students a new course to help them "manage difficult conversations" and learn how to speak with sensitivity on touchy issues such as race and gender.

Someone recently said that the Left do not censor...

3. drslash

My first thought exactly, too! :)

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I believed they also banned the military from recruiting from their student body.

But then and again, I always though the Ivy Leagues were the banes of mankind.

SM (who was rejected from Yale, but got into Brown)

5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I guess free speech only applies to that which they agree with.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ain't that the universal truth. Amen.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Long live MIT!!! The school that believes in freedom of speech and information so much, they released all their courses online...

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

And who gets to determine what is offensive and what isn't? Liberal universities are just as bad as the Christian right with regards to censorship anymore.

9. drslash

Re: Re: Harvard looking to step on the slippery slope

The thought police will decide what is offensive, I guess. Who are the thought police? Well, if we knew that, they wouldn't be very effective thought police.

I support what Harvard is doing to the extent that the faster more crummy and corrupt lawyers are turned out by them the faster there will be reforms brought about by the outrage of injustice.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

With thanks to Doonesbury, this may be how future speeches need to be made at Harvard.

Graduating seniors, parents and friends.......
    Let me begin by reassuring you that my remarks today will stand up to the most stringent requirements of the new appropriateness.
    The intra-college sensitivity advisory committee has vetted the text of even trace amounts of subconscious racism, sexism and classism.
    Moreover, a faculty panel of deconstructionists have reconfigured the rhetorical components within a post-structuralist framework, so as to expunge any offensive elements of western rationalism and linear logic.
    Finally, all references flowing from a white, male, eurocentric perspective have been eliminated, as have any other ruminations deemed denigrating to the political consensus of the moment.

Thank you and good luck.