1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by dsl987, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Long story short, need to upgrade HD and want to move the OS to a nice fast SSD. Just to confirm (refresh hazy memory) that all I need to do is purchase SSD, image the old HD to the new SSD, and then designate the SSD as primary and then can use the old HD as secondary storage?
    Also any recommendations on free imaging software?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If you're cloning, gotta get Clonezilla (yes, it's free).

What are you getting as far as a SSD? Best you can probably get right now is the Samsung 850 series.

3. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Have not settled on a SSD yet, but I don't need a huge drive as my primary, so I'm thinking something in the 256GB range will do me. Performance is main priority here. I'll take a look at the Samsung 850's

ethics likes this.
  4. Biker

Both the 850 and 840 series are excellent and highly recommended. Probably the best on the market right now.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Not really related but Biker does GA's forum use SSD? I just added 120GB SSD as boot drive for my server. It did pick up things rather nicely. I have all my static stuff on a 4TB HDD. I'm running Debian.

dsl987 likes this.
  6. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I got spoiled on SSD's when they replaced my laptop at work with a new Dell Dimension that has the SSD. Boot times were cut significantly. On the old laptop I could log in and then go walk down the hall and make a cup of coffee and by the time I returned to my desk, it was still not usually done loading everything.

Biker: As for my SSD choice, I'll probably pick up the Samsung 840/850 in 256GB size that you recommended. It seems to have great reviews so I'm sure I'll be happy with it

7. Biker

Check out Newegg as they usually have a decent sale going on the Samsung SSDs fairly regularly.

dsl987 likes this.
  8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Newegg is where I buy a lot of my computer stuff, and was already looking at their Samsungs :)

UPDATE: Samsung 850EVo 250GB for $98 ordered

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    ethics likes this.
  9. Biker

10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

That is a really great offer, but I really don't need that much room for now. By the time I need to upgrade from this 250GB model, they'll be selling SSD's with twice that capacity for half the price, and we'll be at SATA 4 or 5 by then :)

Thanks for all your advice.

ethics likes this.
  11. Greg

Greg Full Member

It would be nice to have some maybe 4 TB SSD RAID NAS.

dsl987 likes this.