1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gulf War Lessons Learned?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Read all about it at Gulf War Lessons Learned...Or Not?

For the record, we would take the nefarious "go pills" too, and I don't recall anyone ever making any serious mistakes that could be blamed on them. They did make a lot of us really uncomfortable though, and the biggest detriment I can recall is they would interfere with our sleep cycles...meaning we'd have to take more of them just to get through the night. And in SA, sleeping during the day was horrible; the heat was enough to give you a sunburn even while lying on a cot in a GP20 tent!

SM

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I think one of the biggest mistakes was the leak in intel about the SCUDs. There was a double agent feeding information to Iraq about where we were going to target the SCUDs, and they would be moved and a dummy put in place.

I saw an interview with him a while back, he was completely unapologetic, a total anti-semitic jagoff.

3. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

for 12 years the army and air force have been digitalizing there systems. so there wont be as many fraticide. but as we learned in afganistan all it takes is reading or punching in the wrong coordinates(the sf and ranger soldiers killed by one of our bombs)

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IMO...
    Number one lesson learned...

Our military was not as "screwed up" as our media would have everyone beleive going into that war.....(where was the MASSIVE body count that CNN expected to come home in Flag-drapped coffins????)

Number one lesson NOT learned??

Finish the job the FIRST time!
    [rant off] ;)

5. Sierra Mike

No shit??? I never heard that! What a piece o' crap! Must kill him!

SM

6. Sierra Mike

System digitization is one of the primary risk-alleviation aspects to fighting in the 21st Century...we're still very inexperienced with it Army-wide (don't know about the other services), and Task Force XXI was stood up at Ft. Hood, I believe, back in 1998-1999. So it's gonna take some time to make the actual improvements and introduce them into combat via doctrinal dissemination. But it can only help.

SM

7. Sierra Mike

Come on, even WE thought we were gonna have a tough fight! Even the GRREGs and VAH establishments were told to ramp up by the DoD. I can't fault the press for this one, though they can do pretty much no good in my eyes. :)

You work with the IVIS stuff, M1? How's it coming along?

SM

8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We made mistakes in the war that lost some friendly troops. But look at your history. You cannot have that many people around that much lethality without high chances of being hurt. Good army leaders are anal about safety. The miracle of the Gulf War was that the coalition worked together with different equipment and different languages and we did not lose more friendlies.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just one of the earlier editions, as I was transitioned from M60A3's to M1-"IP's" ..then was out less than a year afterwards.
    I did not make into an M1-A1 or the supreme "Cadilac Escallade" of Tanks, the M1-A2!:thumbsup:

I have seen better lookintg versions of what I used in a game called "M1 Tank Platoon II" I can only imagine what they really can accomplish now! :)

10. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

Hey, I'm all for anything better than taping a large "V" on the side of the vehivcles and hanging a chem. light on the back of them, as our primary means of vehicle I.D.(although i do believe everyone involved should be very well schooled in what each vehicle looks like).

11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree.. When I was a young Tanker-in-training we were required to know no less than 100 different types of vehicles not only by "kill/no-kill" but also to the specifications of it's armament and country of origin.
    I saw recently, a show on The History channel, or TLC, one of the 2, where they showed trainees in Ft. Knox now only have to know "kill/no-kill"..
    I was stunned.

12. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I agree... finish the job the first time!(or would that be the second or third or fourth time?). Maybe we can not have politics or diplomacy or the media fuck it up this time?

If we go to war again with Iraq I hope it is not another "wham, bam, over in a few weeks" war like all previous confrontations have been.

We need to decisively kick Saddam's ass out of power in Iraq (assasination of leaders is ok with me), and once and for all make sure that we do not have to go back there again.