1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guild Wars 2 Thread

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If there's enough interest, I'll set up a GA vent server for you folks.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I wouldn't waste money. THere's so many free servers. I am on Mumble and there's hundreds.

3. ethics

Welp, Brian stopped by the Mumble... Unfortunately they took the game down for 30 mins and I need my sleep so tomorrow is another day.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Money? Server client is absolutely free. And it would be for GA only.

5. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

yay finally in Darkhaven

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I still haven't been able to play yet. The game has been locking up on me while it loads. I finally tried moving the files to another folder and got an error copying the monstrous .dat file, so I'm reinstalling.

7. SixofNine

Reinstall did the trick. It's fun enough so far. I could certainly see this giving this a longer-term evaluation after it gets released.

8. ethics

Big deal for me is no monthly sub fees.

9. SixofNine

Yeah, that's huge. It makes it much easier to keep it in the rotation as a candidate to replace WoW as my go-to MMO.

10. ethics

The good:
    • The cities are so cool. No one came close to WoW for years but this time they blew anything out there away.
    • The character art and textures are amazing. Great art, fantastic scaling.
    • Personal story is better than SWTOR by millions.
    • WvW is awesome especially in small group fights. Very limited play here so I can't say more about it.
    • It was amazing how NPCS would talk to you and it would make sense. "You should train more before going that way" pull up the map oh, that zone is 10 levels above me.
    • The no need to go to this guy to get the quest and go back to him to finish him is fucking awesome. The Rift type of dynamic invasions is what MMO needs more more and they did this nicely. Much more than just Rifts opening up.
    • Professions are done better than Rift AND SWTOR. Love the discovery of new recipes. Better than WoW by a mile.
    • Fighting is not too shabby. Certainly comes close to WoW as no other prior.
    • Speaking of fighting. LOVE the fact that each weapon has different skills per your class. If I am carrying a staff I have completely different skills/spells than if I an carrying a pistol. :)
    • I can equip both mining pick and forest axe for chopping wood? Yes please!
    • Achievements actually mean something here. Here are some gifts for 100% area exploration/done quests, etc... http://imgur.com/a/A5z6o
    This screenshot is 26mbs... Gives you a taste of detail in the city:
    [​IMG]
    The bad:
    • If you're ranged its easy to kite, dodge and kill most opponents, even if they are several levels above you. Playing a Mesmer or Illusionist I just stood on a hill and bombed away while the melee took the brunt of attacks -- and died. I then ran around and looted.
    • As a melee your better armor doesnt even come close to making up for the additional damage you take. Not even close.
    • Kept getting randomly one shotted in boss fights--even in ranged and even scripted encounters in my personal quest.
    • The downed state mechanic seems to be an excuse to not bother with balance. And while I read so much about how you can never achieve true balance, developers should at least try.
    • The lack of a significant death penalty is laughable. Why do games keep thinking its ok to do this? Ok, you don't have to go the EQ way where it takes you weeks to gain one level and then when you die, even with a rez you can get only 90% of your said exp. Multiple deaths could lead to leveling DOWN a level. But come on, how about SOME penalty?
    • Lag is atrocious and can't even connect at times. I hope this beta will address this because it's obvious every one and their mother are playing this game.
    SO FAR, it seems leagues above SWTOR, beats WoW in many aspects but there's definitely work to be done.

11. ethics

One more thing, I've read from some users that they are running this on Linux via Wine with no issues. Ubuntu distro.

12. ethics

Get your patch for this weekend's beta!

[​IMG]

13. Elspeth

Beta starts today at Noon PDT!! and if you were in the last Beta weekend your characters are still there :)

14. ethics

Yep! Get to it! If you feel like hooking up in the game or out but just want to have chat in the background, join our Mumble server (GW2 channel). :)

15. Elspeth

will do. Currently at work. Though might have a break later. I love working from home. Though currently watching Euro 2012 game

16. ethics

Poland blew it, I think.
    Russia dominated Czechs.

17. Elspeth

I didn't watch the first game but that sounds about right. Second game wasn't bad. Can't wait for tomorrow's games!

18. SixofNine

Release date: August 28th.

ethics likes this.
  19. ethics

20. SixofNine