1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess What - We Have a Direction

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I may be whistling Dixie here, but a recurring thread in my posts as well as my signature is how much I detest the way our politicians are bought by corporations. They cannot be elected without the donations of the wealthiest Americans and corporations. Whenever banning corporations from campaign contributions is discussed the First Amendment rights of the Corporations are bandied about.

Well now our glorious leader has just come out with a tax break for his friends (I am not necessarily against it) on the theory that corporations and the people who own them through their stock do not have to pay taxes twice. Like I said, I kind of agree with that thinking. But what I really like about this is that the logical extension of this is why should shareholders get to vote or contribute and the corporation have the same rights. Does that not double the voting power of people in these corporations. Let the individuals contribute as they will. Let the members of all the unions and special interest groups contribute as they will. But don't let them have twice the contributing power of the citizens who are independent of stock holdings and memberships in special interest groups.

Am I way off or can we start playing with the same logic used to decrease the onerous tax burden of the millionaires everywhere. It's time that no contributions be allowed by anybody but individual citizens. We don't have to have multi-million dollar ad campaigns. Make them speak short and sweet about their beliefs and how they will vote and then let the voters decide, not the corporations, unions, and special interest groups. Oh, and the individual is not allowed to contribute any more than any other citizen to his own campaign.

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Shiny, I have to agree with you. I find it disgusting that this whole corporation thing is happening with the elections. Heck many corporations play both sides of the fence (such as Enron) so that whoever gets into office is guarenteed to give them a little pat on the back.