1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenland's Govt. Goes Belly Up

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What happens when you mix old-style witchcraft with the world's largest island? You get the <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,872556,00.html">collapse of a government</a>, though one that probably few of us even suspected existed.

The recently elected government of Greenland, which is a semi-autonomous part of Denmark, looks like it is going to collapse. All the furor is over a Mr. Jens Lyberth, who was recently appointed by the social democratic Siumut party. He decided to enlist the aid of a native Inuit spiritualist to "drivenegative energy" from the government buildings - negative energy due to conflicts between Greenlanders and Danes, who make up about a fifth of the island's 56,000 residents.

However, the woman's activies bothered others, and the leftwing Inuit Ataqatigitt party withdrew coalition support from it's former partner party, and if agreements are not reached soon, new elections will be held - after only 37 days of the current government being in office.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's a bit of a strange situation there. I spent some time on that island (the @#&@@*& lowlife who said it was GREENland should have his bloody head examined) and you never really know who's in charge there. You have many who are Danish and answer to Denmark, and you have the natives who pretty much thumb their noses at the Danes and go their own way. Pretty much business as usual.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Actually it's just this parliment coalition which has collapsed. The government has been around since the 1970's.

I think we can safely file this away under "things not likely to change the balance of power in the world". :)

4. spg

spg Registered User

Not GREEEENLAND!!!! Oh the humanity!!

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I'd like to hang the guy that named those islands by the nads....Iceland is largely green, and Greenland is largely ice. Of course, mead is one of the four food groups in greenland, while perfect English and the unchanged Nordic language is practiced in Iceland.

Iceland actually sued Microsoft over their offering of Windows in iceland. It seems they offered generic Scandanavian, while icelanders, perfectly fluent in English, speak the Nordic tongue as it was spoken 400 years ago.

6. ethics

You guys should be blaming the Vikings. I believe, if I recall my history correctly, that the Vikings first came during a very lush and seasonal (rare as well) time where they THOUGHT it was like this most of the time. The Indians who lived there, of course, knew better but it took a few trips, in droves, to replace the dying people that settled there and encountered the hard reality of Greenland's climate and earth.

7. ethics

LOL!

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've always heard the map makers were at fault and got the two islands mixed up.

Greenland is very unforgiving as far as it's weather. Spent 30 days at our tracking station there (Thule) in the dead of winter. There are ropes strung between the buildings so you don't get lost during the whiteouts.