1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotta Wonder if Trump or Kelly Had Immigrants in Their Family Tree

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm not sure how it is in Quebec right now, but they've always had a chip on their shoulder. Two of my sisters married men who are half French, but it's Acadian French, and one of them can only speak English. I haven't been in France since 1967, and it was just Paris. The Louvre was wonderful, and the food was great, and the French were . . . French! I've been told they are friendlier out in the provinces. There was no EU back then, so we (girl I went to college with) and I came back from 5 weeks over there with passports full of stamps and a tattered copy of Europe on $5 a Day.
    Susan Addams likes this.
  2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

Good story Allene! :)

It's mean for me to wish that the French could see what their world would look like today if US, Canada and UK hadn't intervened in WW II. And in all likelihood both France and UK would be German speaking countries. At least that's my opinion.

Maybe they are mad about something else and take it out on us. Or envious. Haha, at least we don't have to eat snails! Maybe eating all those snails makes them mean.
    Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I read a book about 10 years ago that shed a lot of light on the French. It was written by an Australian woman who married a Frenchman.
  4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Paris is the most snobbish city that I'm familiar with. They think they are it and the rest of France and its residents second class.

Some things have changed though. Now there is American fast food outlets everywhere including on the Champs-Élysées near the Arc de Triomphe.

There are lots of people running around the city that are clearly immigrants. Paris is much more violent now. In the past it was such a safe city it was amazing. Not so much now.
    Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

So true, especially when I was there. The American fast food outlets weren't there in 1967. That was true in every country I visited at the time. London was advertising Bovril (beef paste that can be eaten as is or stirred into hot water) in lights at Piccadilly Circus. It was still a very British city then with Lyons Corner Houses all over the place, and men going to work in the City with bowler hats and umbrellas. In 1971 it was starting to change with racial graffiti directed at Pakistani immigrants all over the place. When I was there for a third time in 1999, London had changed greatly and not always for the better.

I didn't spend a lot of time in Paris, so I didn't observe much in the way of safety there, but London back in 1967 was amazing in that respect. People didn't lock their doors in the area we stayed in.
  6. Arc

Arc Full Member

Except for where I live now, Los Angeles, I've spent more time in London than any other major city in the world including any US cities. It was my favorite city of all time. But...that was the London of pre-nineties. The city has changed remarkably. Before if I had enough money I would have had my main home in the USA but a second home in the London that I knew. Now, I don't think so.

London has changed dramatically in so many ways, many good, many not. But it sure has transformed itself since circa 1990.

Paris has changed and almost exclusively for the worse IMO.
    Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

London was my absolute favorite city back then too. It was a place I could identify with -- so civilized, so much history packed into every area, a lot of villages that grew into each other to form the current city, museums, a tolerance for eccentricity (Hyde Park's Speaker's Corner, for example), a wonderful city to walk in. I could go on and on. As Samuel Johnson said, "He who is tired of London is tired of life." I'll probably never go back (8 time zones is hard on older people), and if I do, I'll spend more time in the countryside, especially Cornwall, the Lake District, and the Yorkshire Dales.
    Arc likes this.