1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotcha!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Jan 17, 2003.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

2. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Yay! A drop in the bucket to be sure, but at least it's something!

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Outstanding!

SM

4. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Yes. That's great news indeed.

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

They fingerprinted them in customs? I approve their capture, but how many are we fingerprinting these days?
    Perhaps prints should be made part of your passport. I dont like the idea of selecting just a few to be printed.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I thought fingerprints were part of your passport?

Do they not require prints anymore or something?

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

They aren't on mine!

8. cdw

I didn't think they had fingerprints on the passports.
    But, how is this working anyway... they have some kind of digital scanner thing for fingerprints? I mean, I can't see them sticking their fingers on the inkpad, taking the prints, then running those through the system. Or is that what they are doing?

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I should point out that I don't know if other countries use or require fingerprints on their passports.

10. cdw

I am hunting around trying to find out who requires what on the passports.
    But I came across a page that was also talking about requiring drivers licenses to expire when the visa does. And that only 20 states so far are trying to enact legislation. What the heck... I would have thought that was a given from the very start, way back when before any of this stuff happened. What the hell would you need a valid license for if you weren't supposed to be here? I dunno.

11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Logically speaking, it does expire at the same time: visa no good = leave country. Leave country = no more driving here.

Oh, wait, that only applies to law-abiding folks...

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Well, I found the website for the US Embassy and other Embassies :

http://usembassy.state.gov/

I searched around, but cannot find the req's for passports - maybe someone else will have better luck?

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Keep in mind that that lots of people from foreign countries have legitimate reasons for repeatedly traveling back and forth between the US and the home country. Business, for example. The US, like most countries, does issue multi-entry visas.

When I was working in Russia I had a multi-eentry visa that allowed me to leave and return an unlimited number of time s for some period -- a year, I think. Made trips back to the US 5 or 6 times and then returned to Moscow. I did not drive while there but if I had had a car it would have been a collosal pain to have to take a driving test to get a new license every time I re-entered. (Or more likely, to have to pay another bribe to the testing officials each time. ;) )

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

While looking for information on which countries require their citizen's fingerprints on their passports, I came across this very good analysis of security practices, closely following 9/11.

15. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Fingerprints are not required for passports by most countries.

The new system fingerprinting system being used at US border points for people from the suspect countries uses an electronic scanner.

16. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I know Canada doesn't, and I've never heard of other countries requiring fingerprints on passports... doen't mean it's not so of course.

17. IamZed

IamZed ...

Unfortunately I can testify that fingerprints are read electronically now. No ink. You put your thumb on a pad and they tell you who you are.
    Thank God I spare no money on layers.

18. cdw

Cool... is that on a local level now too? I know when I had to be fingerprinted for a hazardous waste license it was a pretty messy experience.

19. IamZed

IamZed ...

No. On a local level they send the clean scan to homeland defense then make an ink copy. I spent 8 hours in the can a few months ago then my layer made it all go away.

20. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've had both Canadian and U.S. passports and wasn't fingerprinted for either, but I had to be fingerprinted when I applied for a green card (visa) to work in the U.S. way back in 1968. It was done by an RCMP officer in Canada.

Allene