1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Fitbit? (physical fitness monitor/watch)

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Like anybody with a brain, of course I work out, in my case 3-4 times a week at my local gym. Recently I became interested in fitness monitoring devices and although I think the Apple watch covers it too. Fitbit seems to have attracted the major share of the business.

I quickly narrowed my search down to the Fitbit Alta HR, because of its small size. The Alta's small size looks good on my wrist considering I'm petite, but it looks good on men too.

I'm still learning its capabilities but the HR = heart rate monitor feature is what caught my interest. In combination with accelerometers it can capture a wealth of data from your body. I have no idea what other sensors there are, if any. But just from these two inputs many aspects of your physical activity can be calculated via algorithms. Of course HR heart rate is given, and is why the device is called the Alta HR. I presume Alta is marketing for "thin band." (Some devices have GPS for distance walked but I think the HR deduces that from accelerometers or just reports in units of steps. If steps you could calibrate a conversion for yourself.)

The device tracks my heart rate (bpm) throughout the day and night. You wear it 24/7 except for perhaps 4 hours every 4-6 days for charging, and of course when you bathe. It is interesting to know my heart rate at any given time by just tapping the face of the watch twice quickly, bringing up the LED display showing time of day and heart rate, and a symbol categorizing your current bpm, although I have not learned yet exactly what the different categories mean, something about burning calories. My HR tells me I have excellent heart health, which of course you would expect for a healthy person my age, particularly considering my workout regimen. And that brings up the other interesting part that when I am at the gym my actual current heart rate is quite interesting. The treadmill has built-in HR and I've been somewhat concerned that the two don't agree, but at worst the HR may be giving me relative readings. On the other hand I can mode the watch (more taps while display is active) and see the heart symbol actually throbbing as I feel my heart beat, and they seem to be in synchrony.

The sleep monitor is just simply amazing! I have attached a picture showing a recent night's sleep. You can see me falling asleep and then as my night progresses me going through light sleep, deep sleep, REM sleep... The app (you run an app on your cell, tablet or PC) explains that each of the stages are important but of course that is common knowledge. Wow I sure like that REM sleep! LOL! :) Hey... Wait! What? I'm sleeping with the whole friggin' forum??? LOLOL! ;)

The device has other features I have not explored yet, such as reminders to get up and walk around a few minutes (important for me since I write corporate apps and get engrossed in my computer, often in a software trance for hours), and reminds you to drink water periodically. I always have water next to me on my desk as I work but I forget to sip. Of course everybody knows it's important to have water continually flowing through your system (and out to the ocean, river, whatever) to help your kidneys do their job. I'll start using these features and others as I integrate the HR into my life. One thing I don't know about is the calorie input feature, it's a PITA to translate a plate of food into calories. Restaurants have that on their menus but I mostly cook at home from fresh ingredients, and except for the main serving (beef, chicken, shrimp) where I use a scale, the rest of the ingredients are just by intuition. And yes you should have a scale and at least measure the main ingredient to standardize your meal size.

Let's get on to shoppiing, woo hoo! :) :) :) When the going gets tough the tough go shopping! LOL! :) And I'm tough all of the time! :)

You can get Fitbit at Amazon although I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I got mine during the Black Friday - Cyber Monday period, list price $150 for $100. You should time your purchase for sales unless you have money to spare. (This girl spends her spare money on the stock market!) The first thing you do when you get it is throw away the goddamned fugly band! My fuchsia band didn't look too bad online (I really wanted pink) but OMFG it was just friggin' gross when I got it! I fixed that quickly by buying a metal aftermarket replacement. Bands snap in and out quickly and easily. I'm intending to buy a few more bands so that I can properly accessorize! I haven't been able to find a band of real gold yet, and if you know me at all you know my favorite color is gold! Woo hoo! :) :) :)

I have attached pics of my HR (with it's fugly band), the band I actually wear, and a recent display of a night's sleep categorized into the various stages. (You should know that if you make any jokes about me sleeping with the forum, that I hit pretty hard for a grrl! ;)) This is my first use of images on this forum so let's see how it comes out.

To sum it up this product is a great accessory that helps you achieve physical fitness by giving your real data on your fitness related activities. Then you can plan your physical regimen accordingly. At holiday prices I think it's a fantastic deal, and even a good deal when the online sellers aren't trying to whip people into a shopping froth!

Note that the Alta HR is just one of a line of perhaps 8-10 similar devices, and you can visit fitbit.com to compare the various products; perhaps you may prefer a different model.

So tell me what you think!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't need a fancy watch to tell me I'm out of shape, drink too much, and sit too much on my ass playing with my dog.

:lolaway-5:

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Those monitors sure have come a long way! I especially like the sleep quality report. I don't know how much calorie information the monitor provides, but if you need help, here's a classic that has been around for a long time and was used by dietitians in the 1960s (maybe still is). I'm surprised that they don't offer an electronic version. I've attached a snipping of the book on Amazon. I tried to send the page and it turned into media!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

You could always take Trixie for a walk! ;) Out here, we have something called cheat grass (has barbs in it). From July through September, we cannot let our beagles run loose because that stuff gets in their eyes and costs around $200 to remove. Beagles need about 3 hours of exercise per day or they get antsy, so I take them out (one at a time) three times a day during cheat grass season and walk mostly uphill with them. Ed can no longer do as much walking as he used to, so I make six rounds most of the time. I'm not big enough to handle two beagles at the same time, especially if they see a rabbit along the way.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Biker, my reply to Suzy turned into a weird format. There's supposed to be a link there, but it's missing, and the last line of the post is way down at the bottom. Is that because I didn't use the Insert feature or because it was an Amazon link?

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I went in and edited it, took out the link I'd inserted and used the Link function to add the URL, then saved my changes. It still doesn't work.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It looks like you were attempting to post an Amazon video of some sort? The software tried to parse it to where it showed in the post.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Bummer! I'm having a problem with everything today. Too much on my plate right now! Thanks! I don't know where the video was coming from, but I did a snipping of the book and edited my post. That worked!

9. Susan Addams

Biker that just shows how sexist society is. Now if I were to make the same statement about sitting on my sofa and playing with my cat, and perhaps made an unfortunate choice of words, the whole forum would be laughing! ;) (Actually I don't have a cat. I don't like them but they like me. Go figure...)

Allene, I just can't be bothered to count calories. When my blue jeans belt doesn't fit that's the time to quit. Eating. :)

Actually I work out often enough and eat good, wholesome foods home cooked, so I just don't need to count calories. I work out to keep my physical fitness and I enjoy my workouts listening to my tunes. I know if I keep it up the boys will keep chasing me, and I'll be able to outrun them unless I wanna get caught! Seriously, there comes a point in everybody's life when they hit the wall and their body starts falling apart. Almost everybody hits that wall in their 30s and their metabolic rate slows and their eyes begin losing the ability to focus. I haven't hit that wall yet and can still read and drive without needing glasses, although that day will surely come and there is nothing you can do about. (Okay, laser. Not an ideal solution.) The best I can do for now is to continue my workouts and try to make good lifestyle choices.

I really like my Fitbit because it reminds me to keep making good lifestyle choices. While I am interested in the cardio data logging, I am simply fascinated by the sleep data! I know when I've had a good night's sleep and I know when it wasn't, but in the time I've owned the Fitbit it has always given me real, hard data that shows the patterns of my sleep. It is just simply always right.

I've hit the 'Net a few times looking for solid gold bands but haven't found one yet. You know my favorite color is gold but Suzy likes only real gold, not gold toned. I have a black belt in shopping and when I find it I'll buy it.

Meanwhile the data is interesting and the monitor/watch is a constant reminder to keep thinking about physical fitness. If you are going to be obsessed with something it is good to be obsessed by something that is good for your health.

10. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Suzy,

You might want to take a look at investing in FitBit. I hear they are getting ready to pivot into making medical devices based on their knowledge base. I don't know squat about investing, have zero in the stock market and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Just relaying what I heard and maybe you can check it out and see if you can use it.

11. Susan Addams

Way ahead of you Mark. I bet you already got the message that I invest in what I believe in, companies I do business with.

There's just one problem. Fitbit hit their high about one month after their IPO, and it's been downhill ever since. I truly like skiing (look out crazy woman incoming!!!) but poor Fitbit has just been headed south ever since they went public. They opened about $32 and hit nearly $50 a month later, and it's been whoooooppp! down the hill to today's close at 6 bucks and change.

Loser! But I like their products. I'll buy their fitness products and let others invest in them. In fact I think they are ripe for some company with management experience to take them over!

fitbit stock - Google Search

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. Susan Addams

It appears the minimum pre-Christmas price for this Alta HR will be $130, not as good a deal as I got ($99). Perhaps price may fall after Christmas. I would place my bet between Christmas and New Years.

Note that there are other Fitbits that you may prefer. I'd go for one of the heart rate models such as the Charge 2 if you are willing to have a larger watch. I haven't checked the price because I don't buy large watches; they do not look good on my small wrists.

The Alta HR "small" that I bought can be found for $100 right now, if you do not require the regular model. Use a tailor's measure or many sites have a paper measure you can print out. Or just wrap a strap around your intended wrist and mark off the circumference, then lay it flat and use any ruler.

Recommended sources are Bed, Bath & Beyond or Amazon. You should be able to pick up the Alta HR for $100 (what I paid) any time between Christmas and New Year's, subject to availability.

13. Susan Addams

NOW IS THE TIME!!!!!

Various Fitbits now on sale at Amazon TODAY starting at $80 for large or small, $100 for regular. The larger Charge 2 is going for $130, other models at similar discount.

THIS IS YOUR BUY SIGNAL if you want Fitbit, check out their other product line, and if you like other brands I bet they are on sale too! Woo hoo! ;)