1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google under fire for email scanning

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of idiots (yes, I'm still fuming over their freakin' filter changes).

Pretty cheeky of them to claim that non-gmail users gives implied consent to scanning just by emailing a gmail user.

I see Google getting smacked by this one. And it can't come too soon.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...ged-judge-rules/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

That's a good point that ppl who send emails to Gmail users never agreed to any Google terms. In any email there are at least two parties. The suit is all about Google being an unwelcome third party to communications that are expected to be private.

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I don't think so.

Emails are the postal equivalent of a postcard. Any server or router that touches that email can "read" the contents. Most people think that emails are like sealed envelopes. Give me access to the backbone, and I can read your emails.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The difference being in Google reads 'em for advertising, where your plain ol' run of the mill mail server just reads the address and sends it on.