1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Launches Chrome

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Intersting. Is your Chrome install up to date? 1.0.154.43?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

A lot of it depends on how the proxy is set up. I suspect Leon's proxy is more stringent than others.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yep, 1.0.154.43

4. ethics

Wouldn't I see the same thing on FF? Same proxy.

5. Biker

Don't think so. I don't know what engine they're using with this, but it sucks. I was having issues downloading the program to install earlier. After doing a little reading up, it appears the program not only hits the site you're attempting to view, but it also communicates with Google at the same time. Depending on how your proxy is set up, it could be a pretty hefty delay before you get the page you want.

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

meh. Well, we've always got host files.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I was using Chrome for about 6 weeks for it's speed, although I agree with Biker that it isn't ready for prime time yet. The past week it was really dragging its heels so I've gone back to FF and the increase in speed since then is significant. I can't understand why Chrome had slowed so much.

8. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I just installed it to try it out. The speed is amazing. I have yet to play around with it much, but I like it so far. For basic surfing I think this will be a great browser. As I don't do any business or anything important on this computer I just may stick with it for a while. Although, some may say that Lord of the Rings Online is important. ;)

Still can't find the built in spell checker. :blush:

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Their aynt' won.

Basic browsing - yes.

All else - no.

10. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Lol. Ok, so I found it. It actually really is built right in. I am so used to having to right click to bring up a menu.

11. Biker

I just ran across something that is not only annoying, but I'm still debating whether I'm going to yank Chrome completely off the notebook.

Right now, Chrome is NOT running. Yet, Comodo just popped an alert about a setup.exe attempting to run on the system. A closer look revealed it was Chrome, attempting to update. The only thing I can find is maybe it is being called via the Google toolbar. I'm not a happy camper right now.

12. ethics

Check for googleupdater.exe in startup. That's what they use to update all google apps. I don't mind it thouh.

13. Biker

Yeah, updater was resident on the task list. I'm not impressed.

14. ethics

It's a personal thing. Google gives you the disclaimer before you install it. Some people hate it, some don't mind.

I understand both sides.