1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Launches Chrome

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Which will make it bloaty...?

Dunno. FF is still doing the job for me.

2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Dunno either. I guess we'll find out when it happens.

Same here. I was just commenting that I was glad to see that Chrome decided to support add-ons, etc..

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Does Chrome automatically update itself? Like without warning or permission request? I noticed this morning that I am running the latest version which was released on September 18th. I know I did not do an update.

4. ethics

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

OK, I'm done playing with Chrome. Maybe someday it'll be something ;)

How do I make Opera my default browser?

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I don't know Steve. I actually find myself using more and more for sites that I trust. Mainly GA. But what I primarily use it for is Google Reader and Google Finance. Works much faster for me than FF.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

It started getting buggy on me, sites not rendering properly, downloads saving instead of running (from trusted sites), things like that.

8. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Hmmm....I also "upgraded" to IE8 (don't, btw).

Guess which monolithic browser does not play nice with Google sites and apps, including Gmail?

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Chrome's now out of beta, the official 1.0 download is now available by updating. I just did, time to explore :)

Right off the bat, they added in that "highlight search terms on page" feature I was looking for.

10. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Updating right now. I'm looking forward to extensions coming out so I can really give it a fair test against FF. Until that happens, FF will still win for me because of the ease of use the extensions bring me.

11. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Still no Mac or Linux versions, though!

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Interesting -- I went to one of my local community web sites and Chrome gave me the attached warning. I clicked on the link for further analysis (second picture) -- quite informative.

14. ethics

That's what I was waiting for!

15. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Got the same warning/message using Firefox.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Just installed Chrome and while it's mega fast, it doesn't render sites properly. Still not ready for prime time. Pity, was hoping for a lightweight browser that would take the place of the creeping bloat found in the other browser programs.

17. ethics

Ok, just tried this and...

It sucks. ;)

Not that it doesn't block, but go to WSJ.COM and see how long the page takes to "let go" and allow you to browse.

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Um...no discernible delay for me.

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yeah. I'm not seeing a delay either. Not even at WSJ.com.

20. ethics

Seeing constant delays. Not so with FF.