1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Launches Chrome

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Alright, our resident self-appointed techno-geek just told me that Chrome has been around for years....and that Google actually bought this platform from someone else.

Anyone see any grumblings about this?

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Makes sense.

Chrome is based on Webkit which Apple created in 2002 and made open-source in 2005. It's also what Safari is based on.

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

As of recent…kind of.

If I recall webkit was part of the “apple umbrella” when apple needed a boost to their OS to keep with the X86 times. It started though as a “real” open source project under the GNU terms, was then captured by KDE…

So who would of thunk…and Apple PC that works on an Intel processor running on Linux..

Or you windows machine using A google browser powered by linux. Microsoft is losing a bit at a time.

4. tke711

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Chrome is supposed to remain open-source, iirc. And Microsoft got where it is largely by buying up smaller development houses. It's a good business model.

6. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Would have preferred Chrome for portable devices. I have a webkit based browser on my Tilt and it is rather snappy at displaying pages and can run any page optimized for iPhone. The drawback is that it has that push and drag scrolling that the iPhone has so any page that requires the use of a pointing device is annoying as heck to use since it wants to move the page rather than interact with the target object. I would welcome a webkit browser without flick.

7. tke711

I doubt we'll see Chrome for portable devices before Android is released.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Highlighter is on by default, if you go to a page, do CTL-F and start typing in a word that you know is listed multiple times you will see the highlighting.

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Not even close.......that only works for one word.

See, I already know that one word is on the search page results because, um.....I searched for it ;)

Highlighter tools does all of the words you searched on, at the same time.

10. ethics

Ah ok. Got ya.

11. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Separate child processes for each tab is really the only thing that sets this apart from the others. Well, that and lack of ABP, NoScript, etc. Dumped it after half a day (with only about five minutes of use) cuz child processes aside, it's just another web browser.

12. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You should check the Chrome Help Group and look at all the excellent, user-generated suggestions. Many are requests for features that other browsers already have, of course, but there are some nice ones for new usability features never seen before.

The purpose of a beta is to test the underlying kernel for stability and to garner user feedback for things to incorporate into the first production version. I'd bet that the production release will have a lot of things in it that aren't there, now.

I'm waiting, and continuing to use it while I wait, mainly because it's so damned fast! If the production release is the same as beta.....I'll decide, then.

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I know you've never liked Opera, but it's just as fast as this new one.

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've never tried Opera in my life.

I'm only trying Chrome because I heard it was honking fast, and it is. I'd have tried Opera in the past if I'd heard it was this fast.

15. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

It's fast, but it doesn't have quite the range of FF extensions, and it uses all the current standards, but unfortunately will render improperly on a few websites which only program for IE and not the current standards, which can be annoying. That's a problem with the webpage programing - lazy programers, but it is bothersome none the less.

Because it has to be customized like FF to get the greatest benefit, most people who have one or the other won't want to have to customize a second browser, my reason for ditching FF a few years ago. Keeping up with all the changes in two browsers which love user tweaks was too much, I had to choose.

http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/#

16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I instaled Opera last night, using it right now. It's definitely faster than IE, a tad slower than Chrome but, then, Chrome is pretty vanilla right now.

Ah, choices.....

17. ethics

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Like the look of Chrome?

But don't want to give up your FireFox? Well these guys created a Chrome-styled theme for FireFox. ;)

19. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Hey, that's kinda nice. GA blends well into it, too.

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Looks like Chrome is going to support add-ons and user scripts, FTW!