1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Launches Chrome

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

At least the beta version of it.

Now, call me skeptical here, but how in a world can it be better than firefox and all of its extensions? Sure, before FF, this would be huge but now?

They do offer some glimpses:
  2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well this should be interesting. I'm all for a test drive.
  3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Hmmm, this has got to have both Mozilla and Opera wetting their collective pants.

How do each make their money (well Opera does licence Cell phone and gaming browsers)? By referring their browser's users to Google in their default searches.

I wonder if this will dry up?
  4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

So close on the heels of Microsoft's beta release of IE8......hmmmm.........;)
  5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Read the comic book, ready to try it, but as far as I can tell a download link isn't available yet.
  6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Interesting link.

They seem to think we have about 18 hours to go.
  7. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I really never put much thought into browsers beyond if the page rendered correctly or not and if it had security features. Then with my Tilt I found that the browser can make all the difference in the world. I have a half dozen or so bowsers on my Tilt at the moment.

Each takes a very different approach to what a broswer should be. For the most part they all work on any page just fine but the look and feel can change drastically from one to another. Some are simply amazing at how they handle content and some are simply crap other than on select sites that will only recognize certain browsers.

If Google makes a good enough product the market will make room for it. After all there was no point in launching IE when Netscape had its virtual monopoly and launching Firefox was simply insane when IE was at its height.

Firefox for all its fanboys is still only hovering near 20% market share.
  8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

1st screen shots are out:

9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Did you intend to link to a Firefox add-ons site, or was that a joke? :)
  10. tke711

LOL....unintended, but funny. :haha:

It's just an extension I use to post pics.
  11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I thought it was glitch, first time it happened, but it does look like any image you post links directly to that add-on site, and not to any actual images. fyi......
  12. tke711

Ya....that's how it works because it's already posting the full size image giving no real reason to click the pic. I'll have to look at the options if I can remove the self-advertising.

The old imageshack extension did the same thing, but took you to their site instead.
  13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Ah, got it!

Well, it's a moot point, anyway. Once Google's new browser takes over......;)

You ever see Demolition Man? The bit in the restaurant where Sandra Bullock explains to Stallone "Now all restaurants are Taco Bell!"

......"Now all browsers are Chrome!" :lol:
  14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Amazingly Google's front page looks quite similar to Opera's Speed Dial page....

I'm not sure Google is going to have much more than a bunch of ideas already used in IE, Mozilla and Opera.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Let's face it, there aren't too many computing paradigms, to begin with, given the limitations of the human form factor and the level of existing technology.

Word processors and spreadsheets haven't changed since their inception. They're faster, easier to use and do more but anyone usin Wordstar would be up and running in Word 2007 with 20 minutes of menu familiarization.

Browswers aren't any different, fan bois notwithstanding :)
  16. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

And in this case it's what allegedly under the hood (Leon zoomed in on it in the OP) that has raised my interest rather than any incremental or dramatic change in user interface.

I have had several tabs opened in Firefox and had to shut down the entire browser when something locked up. If Chrome can limit that to the one offending tab, that would be a very nice improvement.
  17. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

It'll sure make my pr0n browsing experience a lot better........:whistle:
  18. tke711

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

:lol: FAIL!

Aw snap!
  20. tke711

Installed and so far it seems to render pretty quickly.

Options in the settings menu are VERY limited, but maybe that's because this is still a beta.

Also, no spell check, at least in this beta.