1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Killing Google Reader

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by tke711, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

My new favorite is The Old Reader.

Like other choices, there is still quite a line to import your feeds (but you can add them manually). Also, they don't currently have a mobile app (working on it), but the view in the mobile browser isn't bad.

jimeez likes this.
  2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Nice suggestion. Looks like a nice simple no-frills layout.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have been trying a few. Actually started writing a review and dumped it due to time constraints.

The best one there as far as solution is newsblur. HOWEVER, due to the fact that whatever they are doing is hitting the servers hard and it's useless, I would have to say that the 2nd -- and now 1st choice has to be TKE's suggestion of oldreader.

4. ethics

Spoke too soon. It's a horror show today. :(

5. tke711

Did Newsblur raise their feed limits for the free accounts or is it still stuck at just 12?

6. ethics

Still at 12, but $25 bucks for a kick ass service for a year? Worth it. It's much faster today, a lot faster than TOR.

7. tke711

Actually, just checked and I was able to activate up to 64 feeds! To be honest, that should be enough so it looks like Newsblur will be worth the spin again.

8. ethics

Let me know. It's definitely very close to Greader (even pressing N for next).

9. tke711

The brief time it was usable for me looked promising. Now my feeds are just spinning as they try to update.

Guess that none of these services will really be able to be rated for at least a few weeks while they adjust to the new, much higher, load of traffic.

10. tke711

So far, I have to say that I'm liking Feedly the best. Two reasons:

1. They actually seem to be up and running constantly. :)
    2. They iPhone app is the most ready for prime time.

The one I'm still holding out for is Reeder. They claim they will exist after GR dies and I'm looking forward to what that means. However, Reeder is only for iPhone, iPad and Mac.

The other one to keep watch on is Zite. It's already one of my favorite apps and they are claiming to be working on changes/additions that will attract GR users.

11. ethics

12. ethics

Feedly is too flipboardy for me. I don't like it at all.

13. tke711

I felt that way at first as well but then started playing around with the "view" settings. I'm still deciding on which one I like better but I'm between just simple Titles and Timeline.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yeah, me too. But I'm into my fourth day of using Feedly and have gotten very comfortable with it. Changed a couple settings so that I'm only seeing the article titles rather than the magazine layout. I think it's called "titles" layout. It's working very well for me so far.

15. ethics

I'll give it another try.

16. ethics

REALLY not feeling Feedly. I WANT to love it but I really hate it. There's something missing, like huge amount synergy.

17. ethics

Even Cali Lewis loves it and picked it... But not sure why people like it.

!

18. ethics

19. tke711

I've settled on Feedly for now, but not really because its the bomb. More because it seems to simply be the best of the options out there right now.

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer