1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Killing Google Reader

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by tke711, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I guess if it's not making them a shit pile of money, they're gonna shit can it. Wonder when they're going to drop the bombshell on gmail?

3. tke711

Looks like Feedly is widely considered the next best option. It does sync with google Reader currently, but I wonder if it actually copies over the feeds?

4. tke711

According to their blog, it looks like Feedly is planning to make the transition easy for their users.

http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/

They must be getting a lot of new traffic tonight as the site is SLOW right now. :)

Feedly also had iPhone and Android apps, as well as FF and Chrome extensions.

It very well may be the new choice for me.

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Came here looking for an alternative. I'll give this one a try; thank you.

How long until a petition starts up to save the damn thing. Man I'm so pissed right now.

6. Biker

Gee. Where was all the support when I was ranting about the demise of iGoogle? Find your alternatives suckers! :laugh:

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I think you know the answer to that one. :p

8. tke711

It's already been started and has over 36,000 signatures. https://www.change.org/petitions/google-keep-google-reader-running

Feedly is suffering some growing pains right now with MUCH higher than normal traffic. According to their twitter feed, they are working on increasing their bandwidth. When it was working last night it seemed OK. once I got it tweaked to my liking.

9. tke711

There was ever such a product? ;)

10. tke711

11. Biker

It was pretty stupid to put it there to begin with.

12. tke711

NewsBlur seems to be another popular option but I'm having a hard time getting their website to work correctly. Guess they too are getting pummeled with new users.

Also just read that Digg is planning to release their own reader in the new future.

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have not found anything as of yet. Feedly sucks and NewsBlur is too loaded to even test drive. Oldreader sucks, Netvibes sucks, Bloglines is something else entirely today and sucks.

14. tke711

Feedly isn't too bad, but it is the typical "pretty first" template we are seeing more and more.

15. tke711

NewsBlur, while still not working, may be the one I ultimately support. Check out the guys twitter feed to see just how open and communicative he is.

https://twitter.com/newsblur

16. Biker

17. tke711

Argh...finally got into NewsBlur and they only allow 12 feeds with a free account. If you want more than than, you have to pay $2+ per month. Screw that!

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Don't suppose there's anyway to use G+ as a reader, eh?

19. Biker

Careful. They might kill that next. :confused:

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

That's the problem with some companies, they don't see enough profit so they just say "F" the customers, and they close it out and divorce their customers. Google is obviously not one of the companies who cares about their customers. They're all about page hits and profit streams...

Be glad it isn't equivalent to Kindle killing of their product and leaving Kindle owners with no new updates, no later models, no support

At least the Google "product" was an online thing and not a piece of hardware you had to buy.

(Noting that I read Kindle ebooks on my iPad, Kindle is both a physical product and a content delivery standard. Even if my example Kindle killed their hardware the standard would live on.)