1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google IO 2014

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In a word, deflating, boring, and disappointing. Quick run down.

Android L (really couldn't find a better name?)

• "Shadowing" for UI. Apple got away from this, Google introduces it.
    • Really don't care here, I like both or none but may be important for others.
    • Notification priority... Pretty cool. I like this feature.
    • Access app from notification -- in iOS
    • In app notification (answer or not) -- in iOS
    • Wearable to Cell authentication -- very nifty.

There was nothing else worth mentioning. I am really surprised that it was so shallow as far as a major release.

Wearables
    • On the fence on this, as in waiting to see if there’s anything out there that’s worth spending hundreds of dollars
    • worth and actually have a valid use for me.
    • I am not seeing that from any markets right now. Pebble (which I own) is the closest to the better experience.

Android TV
    As an owner of Roku and Chromecast? No interest for me. Not Apple TV (which is overpriced still for what you need) to anything else now.

Android Car:
    Again, I use Waze, I am very happy with Waze, no in car nav system can come close to it and I wouldn’t want to pay extra for this feature (from Apple, Google, or anyone else).

Chromecast:
    Added features means more about leaving your TV on when it should be saving me $ for energy bill. ;) Plus all the fluffy additions, meh.