1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Fiber Coming to Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Aug 28, 2016.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Only if they run it all the way north to where she's at in Idaho. LOL

3. ethics

Why am I thinking she's in Utah?

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well, Leon, thanks for thinking about me. I left SLC 14 years ago this July. Utah was where I was when we first "met" on CompuServe way back in 1993 or 1994. I think you came on that forum after I did. I was there from May 1993.

5. ethics

I am getting old :p

Allene likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Aren't we all?

7. dsl987

dsl987 Member

San Antonio is in progress, although I'm sure it will be quite a while before it's available

8. ethics

You jumping in to it?

9. Biker

Come on. Gigabit service for 70 bucks a month?! He'd be a fool not to!

ethics likes this.
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

It will be the next century before it gets to my little enclave. We can't even have cable here, just satellite, although both are available in town. I see Louisville is on the list of places to be served. I have two stepkids there.

11. ethics

12. Biker

San Antonio is the last city they're going to finish the roll out in, and even that looks to be on hold due to the City Council putting a halt to things due to residential complaints about the huts. Seems some think they're ugly and want Google to make "pretty buildings".

Don't know what happened to this city since I last lived here, but it looks like we've been infiltrated by a bunch of idiots from Austin.

:banghead-72:

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

Would you believe it, fiber is in Moscow, Idaho. I take back that "next century" remark I made earlier. My own ISP offers it. but it is probably used mostly by businesses, the hospital, etc., at this time.

14. Arc

Arc Full Member

Salt Lake City is exponentially significantly increasing its diversity, population and smog. It's only logical Fiber be added to the mix.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Allene likes this.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

They have dreadful inversions in the winter. I remember one that lasted for weeks. It's been nearly 15 years since we left for our current abode.