1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Drive: What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Google came out with the Gdrive, now what?

If you are an existing docs or Google user, this will be good news for you without you having to pay a thing. You immediately get 5GB of storage that you can use right away for most of file formats.

If you are not a Google user and don’t care about sharing or porting or syncing files, close this post out.

The rest? The best way I can explain what this offers over (or under) any other similar services, I would summarize in one graph.

So here it is:
    [​IMG]

jimeez likes this.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Any idea how fast this is rolling out? Mine's "Not ready yet."

3. ethics

4. cmhbob

Yep, already clicked on "Notify me." Waiting...

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

My access got activated today. Put it on two machines. So far so good. I like it.

6. cmhbob

Just got my activation notice. This is good.

7. ethics

I am going to leave this link here. If you have the time, listen to it and learn why some cloud storage solutions are better than others -- if nothing else but security.

Security Now 349 | TWiT.TV

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Thanks for the vid. Could use a tl;dr for it, but great information. I have been a long time DropBox user but this has me rethinking my use of it strictly from a security standpoint. Definitely won't be using GoogleDrive for any sensitive data. I downloaded SpiderOak this morning after watching that video. I'll post back with my results.

9. ethics

Sure thing. Spider Oak has been getting a lot of good press.

10. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

Set up on my Mac a week ago.

Dropbox seems for me to be much better.

I don't see any sense in offline Google Docs sync, when I've got only shortcuts to online google documents.

Yandex.disk offers 10 GB for free, offers WebDAV remote access and have much more interesting model, but unfortunately you can share only single files not the whole folder there. So, I stay on Dropbox+Symform package.

11. ethics

SpiderOak has a special offer. THey just sent me to share that promo code:
    pricing2015

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but it appears that SpiderOak no longer offers free storage. I was wondering if anyone has some other recommendations? Don't need tons of space, but I really like SpiderOak's Zero Knowledge principal.

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Dropbox has nice addons that even work with Linux. Free version nets you 2GB of space.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Thanks for the reply, but no thanks. DropBox is far from Zero Knowledge.

15. Biker

I think you're out of luck if you're looking for free. I found another but it doesn't look like there's a free option any longer.

16. ethics

If you get a Pixel phone, photos and videos are free and unlimited.
    Aside from that, Box.com still does it but not sure how long they will be around.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Thanks for the suggestions. It's actually not for me; I've got a life-long subscription at SpiderOak.

I had forgotten all about Box.com. You can't beat 10GB free but I can't seem to locate information on their website regarding their privacy policy.

18. Biker