1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good review of anti virus apps

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

The old "I have an Apple and all the hackers are going for Windows computers" argument no longer works. I've had a few hangs on my iPad that I had to turn on "airplane mode" then delete my Safari history to get back going.

I still have some thing that bothers every now and then, it wants to download some download I forgot about. I have yet to cure that problem.

But security by obscurity is no longer working.

As always, layered defenses are the way to go. Whatever real time application you pick, you should go with 2-3-4 of the scanners with free home use versions, Ad-Aware, SuperAntiSpyware, Searchbot Spy and Destroy, all the usual freeware/.shareware/donationware/corporate buyware scanners.

Layering is the key concept. One scanner won't suffice.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

My god, you just proved you don't read the links. Just jump in and let everyone know you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Never heard of Hitman Pro, I'll have to check it out.

With the offerings that come with Windows, I'm inclined to recommend to users to just stay with the built in options. Especially if they're not that savvy when it comes to maintaining things on their computer.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    ethics likes this.
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

That reddit post is excellent. Here's a monthly report by AV-Comparatives, a non-profit Austrian firm. They get their funds from the anti-virus software companies, but those companies all pay the same amount, so AV-Comparatives has no financial reason to make one product look better than another. Other donors include the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation, and Technology and the Regional Government of Tirol.

TL;DR: Unfortunately, they didn't test Webroot or Hitman Pro. Pages 8 and 9 have the results.

AV-Comparatives Comparatives & Reviews - AV-Comparatives

Attached Files:

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Same. Have to give that a shot.

6. Arc

Arc Full Member

Excellent write up by the reviewer of his experiences. Good stuff for the regular folks like me to read.

The truism of the security issues with Windows OS has been well documented and talked about for many years. A related issue not talked about is the roller coaster what’s good and what’s bad in security applications. This year’s winner can be next year’s dog or security disaster. The products can change dramatically in any given year and stay on the up or down as appropriate. So one has to pay attention literally each year to reviews by organizations like AV Comparatives.

A good example of apps fluctuation is Norton Symantec. From the days of Windows 95 and 98 Peter Norton’s Norton Utilities and then security software was THE big dog. Norton sold his company to Symantec in 1999 and they continued on for several years as one of if not the best security products. Then for whatever reason they started to tank in many areas from performance to system drain to customer service. They were written off by the informed. Then wham bang wow about 2009 their latest innovation was a dramatic turn around and they received very high marks from all of the prestigious reviewers like AV Comparatives. But…after several years it went bad again starting with Symantec wanting to cherry pick what part of its anti-malware AV programs AV Comparatives could test. Symantec wanted to skip one of the tests that measured one of the most important elements of security software. AV refused of course and the product continued to slide further as noted by the reviewer linked in the OP.

So look out on a regular basis to see if you can still trust your current trusted software security suite or program.

Allene and ethics like this.
  7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm trying out that Avira now on my Mac, I did Avast for Mac a long while back and it bricked my Macbook so hard I had to do a time machine restore to go back to before it was installed.

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

After a week of running Avira, I am finding that my scheduled Time Machine backups keep failing due to something detecting my Time Machine disk "changing names" even though it's not.

It's not my Time Machine in my router since it works just fine on my Macbook and my kids MacMini.

Disabling the AV for a day to see if the errors go away, and there is no setting I can see within Avira to stop this behavior if it is the culprit, if that's the case, it's not an AV solution for me at all.