1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good, Balanced, OpEd on Obamacare... from a Liberal

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It's the same Joan Walsh of Salon/MSNBC who was at the top of the Twitter conversation that I linked in another thread saying "I have insurance, stupid. If I didn't, I'd be rushing to sign up for it."

Klein makes a great point: these liberal pundits broadcasting the administration's talking points have health insurance through their employers and can't be bothered to engage in journalism and see for themselves "...how unworkable the site is and see that the call center often drops your call or leaves you with staffers who can't help..."

And that leads to an even more important point of Klein's: the people with the patience to navigate this morass are the ones who need the coverage the most: the sick. The people that the Obama administration needs the most -- the healthy young -- are the most likely to abandon a whack-ass website that performs as if it were designed and built in Elbonia.

Two other important points from the article:
    • Klein and his colleague spent the better part of two months asking administration officials how they defined success for Obamacare. The overwhelming response was to get enough of the young and healthy to sign up. Uh-oh.
    • The problem is much more than just the website.
    From an IT perspective, Brooks Law is definitely going to be in play here: adding more people to a late project will make it later.

ethics likes this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I honestly don't see the rates changing in any direction other than up, regardless of how well the program gets fixed. And the OpEd completely ignores the point of existing plans jacking up the rates or cancelling policies to force individuals into the government pool.

Talk about your typical governmental clusterfuck.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Oooh, I forgot the pre-election rhetoric and the immediate aftermath. Obama won this argument in both the votes approving the ACA and his reelection. Now, advantage squandered.

Even some supporters are visibly upset:

ethics likes this.