1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golf Scoring Record

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Ernie Els has set a new 4 round PGA low scoring record..
    His score of 31, get that, 31 under par won him the first event of the year.

Are golf courses getting easier or are golfers getting better? Or both. Golf balls go further and clubs let you get away with off centre hits compared to traditional clubs that felt like you were using an iron pipe if you miss hit them. The golf balls definitely are going further. Even a handicap golfer like me notices that. When I strike one properly the ball goes further than it did 12 years ago, and I'm don't swing as hard. Or can't swing as hard more like it.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's a little of both.. PGA rules will limit what the players can use on the course, but the technology has allowed a better ball and a better club. Graphite shafts extended my drives by about 25-50 yards. But you look at the kids like Tiger Woods, and you have to admit, they're making them better these days.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You may well be right there. I'll have to hunt down some comparative scores from the past decades and have a look see.

Tiger is a once in a generation player. Hes got what it takes between the ears too which is a vital ingredient for a top player of any sport but particularly golf.

So where do you play biker? Its something unfamiliar to me with some parts of your country only able to play in the warmer seasons. Its a year round thing here but too hot on some summer days.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Posted twice.

5. Biker

Unfortunately, there's little time for golf these days. I may get a chance to blow the dust off the clubs a couple of times during the summer now. When I was younger (read, before wife and kids) I used to play quite often. Didn't have a handicap in school, but seem to have picked up every single bad habit there is to acquire now.

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I know what you mean. The family is more important for sure. My kids are a little older now but regardless, you still pick up bad habits easily. Its a time demanding game if you are going to play it even half well.

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'd have to agree with Biker that it's a combination of both. The equipment has improved, but there is also much more interest in golf now so there are more people taking it seriously.

Man...I hate winter in Wisconsin....no golf!!!

Oh well, we're going down to the condo in Florida early spring so I'll at least be able to play then. ;)

8. jamming

jamming Banned

I am local to the "Sawgrass" if anyone needs anything from there or comes this way to play or see the Event.

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Great looking course that one. If thats the course with the island green on the 17th.

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I had the luxury of touring Pebble Beach, talk about a world class course. I'd love to see Sawgrass as well, and Augusta.

11. jamming

jamming Banned

Come for the Kingfish Tournament this spring Copz make it an all in one trip. ;)

12. Biker

I golfed Pebble Beach 20 years ago. Green fees were 50 bucks back then. Tough course. Lost quite a few balls in the ocean that day (windy as hell). Definitely an unforgiving course, but had a blast.

13. Copzilla

How'd you like the par three with about a 50 foot elevation drop? What was that, the 8th? 9th? Just a postage stamp shelf overlooking the ocean. Gorgeous.

14. Biker

That's number 7. Lost 3 balls on that stinkin' hole..

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The US courses I'd most like to play are Pine Valley, Augusta, Pebble Beach and Sawgrass. Lots of other great courses there but I think the wallet would cry out for mercy after a few of them.

16. Copzilla

LOL! What did you do, splash 'em?

I've never seen the game go quite so much up and down like that course. Lots of blind tees, too, due to elevation.