1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl wears pretty Chinese dress to prom, becomes the symbol for white racism?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, May 6, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So this girl wore this dress to the prom. It's Chinese origin.

She's 18 and her name is Keziah Daum.

d99aab53b823e62307cff86847ba19ec.jpg screenshot_136.png
    screenshot_135.png

A gamma male by the name of Jeremy Lam was not having it and let people know via Twitter:

What's interesting here is that he has 178,000+ LIKES for that tweet. Which means that a 178,000+ people agreed with him that her wearing this PROM dress, on her happy occasion was racist!

So he puts this tweet and, I don't know if you know this but on twitter if you have over, say 1000 followers, the more people will retweet (quote him and tweet as their own tweet, which snowballs) and this meant that she was getting blasted by thousands of people.

Yup, a young girl, wearing a beautiful dress, on a happy day of her life, you are putting her on blast?

But this was a different than other things we've seen recently. Different in that Keziah didn't back down, apologize, nope, she did the opposite.

She said she isn't sorry for anything because she didn't do anything wrong and she would wear it AGAIN.

Other Chinese folk stood up for her as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...a-cultural-appropriation-minorities-usa-dress

NYTimes even went to interview Chinese about it and the result is as expected.

Teenager’s Prom Dress Stirs Furor in U.S. — but Not in China

On top of that, some people dug in to Jereme's tweets and... well about 5 years ago he called people "Niggas". So yeah, his 15 mins of fame went poof.

Now the whole thing is a funny meme.

r/gaming - My culture is not your god damn prom dress
    My culture is NOT your goddamn prom dress • r/pics
    My culture is not your goddamn prom dress - scoopnest.com

SixofNine likes this.
  2. ethics

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I get upset when I see Chinese people wearing western clothes, but do you see me complaining?

4. ethics

IKR!

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You know what it's called when we start only allowing certain cultures and colors to do/wear/access places and stuff based on a person's own color/heritage?

Segregation.

I thought we took care of that decades ago, apparently I was wrong.

Allene and Frodo Lives like this.
  6. ethics

An just now...

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

The far-left political activist hate group the Southern Poverty Law Center are probably clueless that Cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday in Mexico. (You know the Mexico that is the origin of Mexican culture.) The date has nothing to do with Mexican independence as many inaccurately believe and it is not generally regarded or treated as a big deal.

Meanwhile, in the US it's treated as a big deal and the festivities especially in states with a large latin and specifically Mexican or Mexican-American population enthusiastically lead the festivities, including what those festivities are.

Allene likes this.
  8. ethics

SPLC is a hate group as far as I am concerned. Their days are coming.

Allene likes this.