1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gin Joint "Reason Bot"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Arc, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

Anyway to turn off the darn thing? I hate bots. All bots, all forums. But the one for the Gin joint is the most annoying I've encountered. Rant over, but question is legit. Thanks.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ignore it then.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Arc, you could do what goody-two-shoes me does. Stay out of the Gin Joint and be a good boy! ;) I didn't even know what/who the Reason Bot was the first time I heard someone complaining about it.

4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Yes, Biker can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can turn off the Gin Joint but not individual posts within it.

5. Biker

Forum opt-out is not functioning and there's no author to pick up the ball where the last one left off.

If Reason Bot bothers you that much, ignore the user. Problem solved. It's NOT going to go away.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ignoring the user does not stop the posts from showing up in the other thing that can't be shut off, the "recently added topics" window to the right, or from showing up in "view new content" option.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

That doesn't work. That just blanks out the content of the individual post by the Bot. What I hate, especially since I don't read the Reason Bot, don't care about what the Reason Bot says, and I don't like Bots period, even if you put it on ignore whenever you click on "New Content" you get the laundry list of the "New" Reason Bot Gin Joint topics.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Well, Allene here is the story. (Short version) When the Gin Joint first started, (remember the contest to name the new forum), I understood there wouldn't be bots or material other than that placed by the members, (and that was the way it was then), and that the Gin Joint was a place for members to post anything that was of an adult or sensitive nature be it personal issues, "colorful jokes", sexual content or topics and so on. Well, when it started all it pretty much was was pictures of naked women posted by the members. I even remember the first one. A picture of a really terrific looking nude woman wearing just a stethoscope. I was impressed. But I wasn't interested in the Gin Joint just for a place to look at naked women. I can do that in many other venues including in person. I wasn't offended or anything like that. It was just clutter to me. So I had my Gin Joint membership or access removed.

Then at a certain point in time one of GA's valued members and really nice people here, well usually :), had some really important event happen in their life that was going to affect them and their family and they wanted to privately share it with the members via a post. But just the members. They wanted it private for them only. Very understandable. So they posted it in the Gin Joint. But since I wasn't a member of the Gin Joint I didn't know about it and it actually had a mild negative impact on our interaction because I was ignorant of their situation and I assume they thought I knew.

I eventually found out. So for that reason I asked to be put back in the Gin Joint. But now a year or two later it appears that it was a one time circumstance only. (Suggestion, next time post it in UIF.) Just a suggestion not a criticism or complaint. Instead I get the shotgun stupid bot "New Content" list every day or so.

Now you may understand why I hate bots and asked what I did about being able to ignore it. But I now know by the prompt and kind message from Biker that the Bot isn't going away. (Boy I'm glad I didn't ask for it to be removed!)

9. Biker

Technically, Reason Bot is not a bot. It's the name we've given to the account that does the RSS feeds into the forum.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the explanation, Arc. I never joined because I'm not turned on by naked women, contrary to the research done by Leon that would have you believe that most of us women are latent lesbians.

So, if the event you describe was a one-time event, and Reason Bot is driving you up the wall, you could treat yourself to a pleasant, less-stressful 2011 by quitting the Gin Joint at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve.

BTW, just for everybody's information, I'm not on a crusade to empty the Gin Joint or anything like that. I don't care who does or doesn't go there.

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hey now... never said that. Bisexual and have a tendency to be receptive to other women is not Lesbianism. :p

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

I beg your pardon, Leon. :noworthy: I ain't bisexual either. Just for the record! ;)

13. ethics

Sure. :)

14. Biker

I guess the thing that chaps my hide about all the bitching about "Reason Bot" is the forum that it's most active in is also a forum you must ask specifically to gain access to. So you ask for access, and now you bitch and moan about the stuff that's posted there.

I can fix that VERY easily........ :angry:

15. Arc

Arc Full Member

Go for it.

16. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

It's gotten pretty boring, but I agree with Biker - if you don't like it, ignore it.

17. Arc

Arc Full Member

Your understanding and grasp of how and why things work and what the issue or subject actually is remains remarkably consistent, year in, year out.

18. ethics

Remarkably, he gets how things work pretty well, minus the narcissism.

19. Arc

Arc Full Member

Another patented developed to a real skill ethics drive by post, (the post equivalent to drive by shootings.) As for narcissism I bow to your expertise and skill in that area.

20. Arc

Arc Full Member

The request/complaint/message, Stanley, was if possible to simply turn off or in any otherwise reasonable possible way to turn off under the "New Content" the Gin Joint Reason Bot "New Content" which dominates the majority of the list of "New Content" posts when they are listed. (Remember we are JUST TALKING about what pops up under "New Content" menu--not what is in the Gin Joint itself!)

No one was asking to change anything within the Gin Joint or who could or could not access it and there was no complaints about its content either.

However, Stanley, the GA software apparently will not permit the eliminating or opting out of the Gin Joint "Reason Bot" from dominating and filling up the "New Content."

And that includes not having the option of the member/user from being able to make some setting to not have them listed in the "New Content."

So, in direct simple terms, Stanley, if you have access to the Gin Joint itself there is no option: "If you don't like it, ignore it." "It" being the Gin Joint "Reason Bot" "New Content." The request was never about the Gin Joint itself.