1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giant World War II bomb dug up by builders in London

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Allene, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

It's 1,000 pounds!

Giant WWII bomb dug up by builders in London - Telegraph

I was looking at an interactive map that is also in today's issue of the Telegraph (didn't include it here because it is designed for local people to look up their neighborhoods). I was surprised to see that Aldershot (British army base where Canadians, including my father, were sent) was only 42.5 miles from London. I don't think it was ever bombed--until the IRA attack in 1972 in retaliation for Bloody Sunday.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Fixed your link. :)

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. What was the matter with it?

4. Biker

It was missing some stuff and went to a "Not found" page.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Oh dear! Thanks again for fixing it.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

There is a fantastic movie about something dug up while probing underground London, apparently a space ship from many years B.C.

Does anybody remember this movie?

IMO it was the best '50s=style movie ever released.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

8. Biker

It's your typical low grade, Hammer film 1960s fare. All in all, not too bad, but definitely weird in spots.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I find all sci-fic weird, :).

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Reign of Fire starts with something like that.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

I think 5 million years to Earth is one of the most entertaining campy movies ever made, the top of its genre. I have a burned DVD from a rental as my only copy, but it would be well worth purchasing (to me) if I could identify the correct product. (I have found some ambiguity in Amazon listings, there appears to be two versions.)

But stay away if you can't stand campy! I found the movie ruthlessly entertaining, and it will always be one of my collection..... even in 3x4 ratio, even with the bad burn from a rental VHS to disk and then conversion to digital, MP4 or I forgot which.