1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting screwed by Going Green

Discussion in 'Economy' started by MemphisMark, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Found this on the Interwebz this morning. I Tried to Make My Home Energy Efficient and It's Ruining My Life

It's a story about people getting screwed six ways from Sunday using "energy efficiency" as the selling point. Hard sell tactics targeting elderly and lower-income households, They sell you on "upgrading your home to make it energy efficient." Then they have you electronically sign documents (so you don't have a paper copy you can read or take to your lawyer) that puts a lien on your house to pay for overrated upgrades (like "energy efficient" interior doors), poor quality materials, bad workmanship, etc. AND the loans are added to the property taxes, so it's harder to tell your home if you need to. The knife twist is this also includes prepayment penalties so you can't pay the loans off early.

This just adds to the list of people I want to put feet first through my wood chipper.

Allene likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yet another example of scumbags preying on older and/or low-income people. We get calls from snakes like them from time to time. I get angry just thinking about it.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have a policy. I buy NOTHING based on a phone call. If you are not returning my call and try to sell me something you can forget it. This goes for those collecting for vets, law enforcement, help for seniors, low interest credit cards and those that tell me I won a three day vacation to Hawaii. If it's a political call from a Trump supporter or family member I modify my response to include an FU or two.

Allene likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

That list sounds familiar, LOL! Whatever happened to the Do Not Call list?

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

When you talk like that you scare the dogs, Allene. Well, at least the youngster. The old timer is used to it. (The dog, not your hub.) :)

Allene likes this.
  6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I just tell them I'm busy. "Listen, I'm a bit busy right now. I have an FBI hostage negotiator on the other line. Don't worry about calling back, I can see the snipers getting into position."

If it's burial something-or-another, I just tell them, "We don't bury our dead."

Allene likes this.
  7. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

The government quit enforcing it. You know, it costs money to provide services and they'd rather feather their own nests and give the rest away as freeeee moneyzzz to people who are too lazy to work.

Allene likes this.
  8. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

I have a response to telemarketer calls and please pardon my language. Oh, and they will do anything but admit it's a telemarketing call. First thing I do is ask, "Who is calling" after they say, hello is this Susan? They think they have some right to find out if I am Susan before they have to identify themselves. I tell them, no you don't get it; my phone, my rules. You don't get to talk until you satisfy me.

So when they tell me who they are and admit they're tele, or it's obvious, I yell at them, "I'm on the Do Not Call list. Don't ever phone me again! Fuck off and die!" and I wish I could slam my phone down but it's a perfectly good iPhone and you can't get away with that shit on cellphones. LOLOL! ;) :p

When I feel devious or mischievous I say, "Oh, that sounds so interesting!!! Please, just hold on a minute, I need to turn off my TV so that I can hear you better!" And then I set the phone down for 15-20 minutes before I quietly hang it up. ;)

Allene and dsl987 like this.