1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Germany bails out of coalition

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Looks like we will pretty much be going in alone, except for the Brits.

Wednesday, 22 January, 2003, 02:52 GMT
    Germany rules out Iraq war support

Germany has declared that it will not back war against Iraq, adding its concerns to the mounting reservations about military action within the United Nations Security Council.

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder made his remarks at a public meeting of his SPD party, shortly after US President George Bush told Iraq that time was running out.

More at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2682313.stm

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, I'm thinking they have another two months to get it together. the 4th ID has deployment orders, but it's only materiel which is being shipped out now to be prepositioned--I would presume in Saudi Arabia. So that makes two divisions, plus the one USMC MEF. So far, that's three divisions, a very weak corps-sized force. We need at least twice that many.

I also remember the weather being pretty crappy in February last time. Holding out for March might not be such a bad gig.

That's another month to beat the snot out of the French diplomatically to try and remind them they are a world leader, and their inaction and obfuscation is allowing a murderous regime to remain in power. funny how when oil deals are on the table even leftist liberal democracies suddenly forget their core tenets...

SM