1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

German CH-53 Crash in Kabul

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From MSNBC:

Also...

Still a rocky road over in the Big A, apparently...what I don't get, from personal correspondence with my Apache drver friend Perry and from what I've read here and elsewhere is GEN Myers saying:

I don't think this is a correct assessment; it does appear to me (from the safety of my living room) the situation in Afghanistan is slowly unravelling. I don't think this is a situation induced by our military intervention; I suspect it's because Afghanistan is, after all, a very lawless land, and has been for decades at the very least. I'm uncertain what the future holds for this nation--or at least this particular set of coordinates on maps--but it's going to be a tough row to hoe for a long, long time. At least no one promised it would be easy this time out.

Read all about it at Big E Burns in at Kabul

SM

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Meyers' statement sounds far too much like something Westmoreland would have said. If the administration doubts the public has the stomach to prosecute this action, serving up platitudes like that is the surest way I know of to make it so.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I agree fully!

I think it's wrong to downplay what's going on in Afghanistan. Yes, we all want it to draw to a successful close, one where the Americans help the Afghanis to live as people again, not just rival tribes peppered with murderous brigands. But that's not the case; and saying it is such is a lot like using band-aids to cover the wounds of heart surgery instead of sutures.

I don't get it. It must be some fundamental stupidity that creeps in the higher one gets in the ranks.

SM