1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen. Wesley Clark, President in 2004?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

Ive always found this guy fascinating.

"Retired four-star general Wesley Clark, who has been famously opaque about his party preference and political future, met privately last week in New York City with a group of high-rolling Democrats and told them he was seriously considering a run for the White House, sources tell TIME. Lunching with about 15 Democratic donors and fund raisers at the Park Avenue offices of venture capitalist Alan Patricof, a strong Gore backer in '00 who is neutral so far for '04, Clark laid out his credentials and his differences with George W. Bush. A Rhodes scholar who fought in Vietnam and served as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe from 1997 to 2000, Clark said the U.S. should finish routing al-Qaeda before taking on Iraq and criticized Bush for being too dismissive of nonwar options there. Commander of NATO's war in Kosovo in 1999, Clark, who juggled the interests of 19 member nations, also took issue with what he sees as Bush's go-it-alone style."

If Clark does indeed run, Bush will have a serious run on his hands, one I doubt he will win. Clark has incredible charisma, a military career even more impressive than Colin Powells and eerie hypnotic eyes.

He has not yet proclaimed his party affiliation... apparently Dems are gunning for him as hard as they can.

Very interesting situation to keep an eye on! This guy has that dark-horse young Eisenhower thing going on.

Links:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=wesley+clark

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I've never worked for Clark, but I've been told two things about him:

He's a great leader;

He's a total prima donna.

Both are likely to be true. I think Clark can be both, whereas Schwarzkopf was only one (a prima donna). And both could help give him a run for the presidency.

I think Bush would trample him, though.

SM

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Clark has ten times the charisma Bush does, but... Americans do seem to respond well to nonsense and bluster and stupidity, so...

Something to watch develop, surely.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh, I'd vote for Clark, definitely.

But Bush has something of a personality cult going on, which is a touch scary. What with Ashcroft and Co. getting to pull all sorts of strings, it does have even me a bit concerned.

Personally, I think Rumsfeld should run...it would be fun to have an old guy in the Big House who uses terms such as "jeepers."

SM

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Clark , is a Prima Donna and if what I hear about his handling of Kosovo and the other associated operations their he has had made some major mistakes, which caused civilians on the ground to be exposed longer than necessary to Death Squad activity. I think his personal failures will come out there, which make me wonder if he has some media plan ready to counter them.

This does worry me as it is what the Republicans used to win against Truman, with Ike. However, this guy never saved the freeworld and defeated the Nazi's. It will make the race more interesting, but the Democrats are going to have to giveup on being anti-military.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

BUMP!

Hunh - I had no CLUE it had been 14 months already. Shocking.

This Michael Moore thing is getting, um, 'moore' attention from those I hear from in the liberal world than I thought it would.My own MOTHER sent out the Moore announcement to some of her 50 and 60 something die hard upper crust liberal Dem friends. Ye gads!

I still say Clark is going to win it all.

:eek:

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And you have 100 bucks riding on this.

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

???
    Ike never even ran against Truman. and Truman did not lose. Truman beat Tom Dewey.