1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gays Comprise 5 Percent Of Electorate In 2002

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by btdude, Nov 21, 2002.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Political Parties Should Take Note, Says HRC . . .

WASHINGTON The gay, lesbian and bisexual community made up 5 percent of the electorate during the 2002 midterm elections, according to a poll released today by the Human Rights Campaign. HRC contracted with Zogby International to conduct the poll after it learned that the Voter News Service would not be identifying gay and lesbian voters this year.

Political Parties Should Take Note, Says HRC . . .

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

That's good stuff to know, btdude. Actually, I bet that figure is slightly higher because many homosexuals who were polled probably lied and said they were straight. Back a few years, had I been asked, I would have said I was straight.

It's funny to hear such high statistics of high school students who are sexually active. Think of all the virgins who claim to be sexually active! Why is the nature of the question barely ever taken into consideration with regards to potential liars? ;)

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

It's not really that people are liars, it's that people will answer according to what they think the researcher wants to hear. If they think the researcher wants to hear that a small percentgage of people who voted are gay, they will lie to fit into that mold. A lot of times, people will do it without even realizing it.

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Whateve the true figure is, is really irrelevant. If they knew the percentage they would dummy uo their speaches to target that group for votes. That wouldn't necesarily mean that they would be in office representing the gay communities needs anyway. So not knowing is actually a good thing. They will only hang themselves if they don't give all people the respect and treatment and pull they deserve ;)