1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GamerGate?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Oct 16, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Although the internet has allegedly exploded over this, I'm just finding out about it. There's even a front page article about it in The New York Times. I can't copy NYT text, so a screenshot is attached.

But the core of this tempest seems to be a 20-something guy whose game-designing girlfriend cheated on him. His long, rambling, self-pitying screed, complete with cross-references to Facebook messages, G-chats, and other online conversations, leaves me with nothing but the desire to slap him silly and tell him to find another girl. Try getting through it here:

thezoepost

Excerpt from NYT article:
    gamergate.png

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's going to depend here on who you are willing to listen to, the Social justice Warriors who will take any attempt possible to try and berate Men for being sexist (What do you mean you think Journalists should have ethics? YOU SEXIST PIG WHY DO YOU HATE WOMEN!!!)
    Or if you are willing to listen to those who started the #gamergate movement (It was coined by @adambaldwin) as to what they originally wanted it to be for, forcing Gaming Journalists to have moral ethics and some sense of transparency.

But like any topic, those who think they know better will take one or two instances of some whackjob "threatening" someone on the innernets and paint ALL of those who support #gamergate with the same racist/mysoginistinc/femalehating brush.

Ya know, just like how one crackhead with a gun = all law abiding gun owners are crackhead killers.

Same difference.

What is #Gamergate summed up in a few videos:

About #GamerGate - GamerGate

And a few other links, I've collected over the last few weeks.

How Sloppy, Biased Video Games Reporting Almost Destroyed a CEO
    Journalistic Malpractice and Corruption, Video Games Edition - Kevin Glass

GamerGate: A Closer Look At The Controversy Sweeping Video Games - Forbes

#GamerGate

The Editor Has No Clothes - Blog by RoboJules - IGN

​I Am A Gamer, and I Fight The Good Fight

Feminist Bullies Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart

The death of the “gamers” and the women who “killed” them | Ars Technica

GamerGate: Part I: Sex, Lies, and Gender Games - Reason.com

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Why is this a big deal?

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

because who a woman screws behind the scenes when she is also working with/using them for contacts to further her career and game she designed and get inside info in an industry 'dominated' by men (while completely ignoring the dozens of women who DON'T do this in the gaming industry and get along just fine) is none of your damned business you sexist pig, why do you hate women? /#anti-gamergate-typical-response.

ethics likes this.
  5. SixofNine

Well, here's how late I am to the story: PBS NewHour covered it tonight. :)

As I read about it a little more, I see three interrelated stories:

1. The emo and his blog that I linked in the OP, describing in excruciating detail how his girlfriend cheated on him. This is most of what I knew about this story when I posted. I still want to slap him in the face. :)

2. The fact that, as part of #1, emo pointed out that his girlfriend is a game designer, and her cheating on him included a gaming journalist.

3. The misogyny in the gaming industry, both in terms of the treatment of female characters in games themselves as well as alleged attitudes toward women in the gaming industry. #2 spread into a wicked backlash that included death threats against "Feminist video game critic" Anita Sarkeesian, forcing her to cancel a speech at Utah State, various doxxing incidents, and other lulz-style antics against women in the gaming industry.

From what I've read so far, part of the reaction to #2 (whose origin is much more than the story in #1, such as Baldwin's involvement) is a legitimate call for ethical behavior in gaming journalism, as laid out by Andy. But part of it is also fappening-level crap directed at women. Good luck hoping the mainstream press manages to separate the two. Of course the PBS piece focused on the latter.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Exactly.

The only time I see this mentioned in the MSM or even UK media is to point out that some "gamergate nutjob" allegedly threatened or doxxed some female who emo'd all about it on twitter ad nauseum.... yet when their local authorities were contacted by level-headed bloggers to get more facts on this , no legal/law enforcement reports could be found filed.

there was also a big harumph where 4CHAN (Yes, the shit-hole of teh internets) and reddit (right next door, down-wind) was flat out banning users who dared to question the gaming journalists side of things at all and several Mods were flat out caught in the act or admitted doing so..

7. SixofNine

Yes, in reading up on this I learned a new (for me) term from the interwebs: shadow banning.

8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. SixofNine

10. SixofNine

11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I gotta laugh.

This is pretty much a normal convo I see on Twitter about this.

"Yes I support #gamergate because I believe in gaming journalists getting some morals and ethics for once"

"You mysoginist pig! Why do you hate on women so much!?!?!?"

"Well, actually I am a Woma.."

"FUCK YOU TROLL!! DIE IN A FIRE YOU RIGHT WINGED CUNT!"

*clicks on over to another twit*

"Those #gamergate assholes are at it again pushing hate and anti-women values on my innernets.. how dare they have an opinion that's not mine"
    /40-ish-something-self-proclaimed-king-of-the-nerds-has-been-actor-who-was-weekly-told-to-shut-up-by-someone-who-is-now-a-Sir