1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GameCube Broadband Adapter?

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by FrankF, Nov 27, 2002.

1. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

My 11 y.o. has been bugging me to get him a GameCube Broadband Adapter... so I bought him one for Christmas.

My Internet connection is PPPOE through a Netgear RT314 router. It handles the logon to my Earthlink DSL account and I have two PCs that get their IP addresses via DHCP from the router.

I don't go to the "other place" anymore, so I thought I'd ask here. Do you think the GameCube will work with my setup?
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Excellent question that can be actually applied to PS2 and X-Box issues of Broadband also.
  3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

This looks like a job for Techie2000!!!
  4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

The Broadband adapter will allow the GameCube console to access the gaming site via ethernet cable. I believe you should be able to simply connect the adapter to a port on the router to use your DSL connection.

However, since it seems that these broadband adapters also have PPPoE clients built in, that may conflict with the client within the router. I am not very familiar with the Netgear router ... does it have a dual hub/port to allow for IP pass thru? If not, you may need a simple hub placed between the modem and the router and connect the GameCube to that.
  5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Who needs that other place - damnit, we have Demi!! WTG Girlie :)

If PPoE is what cable broadband uses and Bellsouth DSL, then yes it will work. Fairly easy to get it to work, too.
  6. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Damn ... the gig is up. OK, I'm a geek. But dammit, I can still be cute as hell!
  7. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I stand corrected.:)