1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Reviews for ya'll

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, May 28, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So I've been out from the MMO scene for a while, waiting for Star Wars to come out with theirs, and have been getting through some of the games I've wanted to play but didn't have the time. So here's my list:

Before I begin, let me just point out the differences of two sub-genres: The Action-RPG and Strategy-RPG. The ARPG is more of putting you in the action between the storyline/cutscenes. A good example is Grand Theft Auto genre, especially the last 3 games. Strategy-RPG is more like Dragon Age. While it does put you in action, you really don't do much of roll and hide and shoot -- or swing, it's more about commanding your team and making them a very effective machine against adversaries.

Mass Effect: The original and this is another good example of A-RPG. It's only 10 bucks via Steam and probably the most fun you will have for that little money. The game was 2007's game of the year for RPG genre, I believe. Playing it will allow you to see why. Awesome screenplay, superb plot, and one of the better combat systems out there. Highly recommend it. 8/10

Mass Effect 2: If you bought and played through the original, why not dive in to the second one? No? How about me calling it the best game out there right now and Steam has it for 19.99. Whatever the original had, this one just polishes and grows the whole plot line. Combat is even better than the first and it's really unique in how you play, say, Engineer and your pet drones. 10/10

Dragon Age 2: I've played the original when it came out and while I liked it, the ME series just totally spoiled me. Why? A-RPG > S-RPG. I don't have the patience to put my mage here, my rogue behind there, etc... while there ARE people who prefer this type of play and I DID enjoy the DO2 more than the original, ME is a much better game style for me. 6/10

Witcher 2: This is the only game from the list where I didn't play the original. The Steam download was 17 gigs!!! SO you know there's a LOT of content. It shows too. It was one of the few games that actually brought down my monster of a PC down to its knees in ultra graphics mode. While the graphics, animations, (and sex) are amazing, the game play? Not so much. This is a fantasy A-RPG and it takes strategy to actually play this game. I like that part. What I didn't is the silly plot. I mean, it's not one of those that will pull you in and make you cheer for the main character. Hell, the only thing I wanted to do here is visit the brothel and fuck away -- and each girl gives you different cut scene. Aside from that, I wasn't impressed and certainly not worth the 50 bucks. 4/10

LA Noire: The only game I've played on PS3 (all the above were PC). This game was SOOO hyped up that you had to get it just to see the graphics. Know what? A bomb. A big stinking bomb. I won't mention the game overheating the console (although I have not experienced that), it's just the game play is quirky, not smooth at all. This is a Rockstar game so I was a little taken aback by that.

As for story line? You are a cop, and instead of GTA criminal, you are on the other side. I really wanted to play this game but aside from not WANTING to, this is one of those games that made me literally nauseas due to the paints, shadows, and movement. Not good. I won't include that in my rating but if you must waste 50+ bucks, don't do it with this game. It's worth playing, sure, but wait till the price comes down below 20. 5/10

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Thanks for that. Some folks on dslr are big Witcher 2 fans, but most of them played Witcher 1. They mentioned that fighting takes more skill than just mashing buttons, which sounds like a good thing.

I guess some aspects of Mass Effect are good preparation for SWTOR. I downloaded Knights of the Old Republic from Steam for 9.99, and it shows its age.

3. ethics

It's A-RPG so yes, it takes skill. I think that's really the strength of the game, the combat and eye candy. Unfortunately they had to go with the plot they chose though. Oh well.

I am sure. Never tried those games, actually. But now I am looking to dive in to something new. Fable III is beckoning but I'm not sure it's much different than, say, Witcher 2.

4. SixofNine

Guild Wars 2 looks interesting, too.

5. ethics

Yep. Already have my cross-hairs on that one too.

6. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I'm still goofing around with LOTRO (free).

7. ethics

I go back and forth, or in between. WoW is definitely dunzo though, as is Rift.

8. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

Guild Wars 2 is looking cool. Had started Galaxies back up but then they got hacked, so cancelled again. Mainly on WoW and been playing my 3DS. Dead or Alive looks amazing. Zelda comes out in June.

Can't wait for The Old Republic to come out.

It will be interesting to see what is at PAX this year.

9. SixofNine

I love "Hope," the second cinematic trailer (to be watched full screen at 720p). :)

10. ethics

Or full screen on an iPad. Good God, that was badass.