1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

On newstands May 11th.

dinklage.jpg

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

They could not have cast the role of Tyrion Lannister any better.

I had more to say, but couldn't figure out how to get the spoiler tags to work.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'll have a look. I may have to redo them.

5. Biker

It's working now.

6. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Great show. I finally broke down and watched both seasons and I am all caught up. Great characters and great storytelling by HBO.

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Can someone please explain to me who the two charred children were at the end of Season 02 Episode 07?

8. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Remember that the Lord and his brothers, along with the giant and the wildling, escaped during the night. They were chased at and supposedly caught.

9. SixofNine

No. ;)

10. Biker

Read the book. :p

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Supposedly being the key word here hopefully.

You other two are jerks. ;)

12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Oh supposedly IS the key word. No hopefully to it.

13. ethics

The one's telling you to read the book are not wrong. This season they went a bit far off from the book than in Season 1. Not sure why because the stuff they changed is actually meh in comparison to what happens in the book.

Spoiler only if you have not seen episode 4 yet.

Arya's capture by the red/gold coats, for example was so much more involved and extended in the book than the series. The barn escape via tunnel and then Gendry getting caught by the docks? So much richer than the feeble capture during the killing of Yoren

14. Biker

You noticed that, too, huh? I wasn't very thrilled with how things developed this year. And while the 1st season pretty much adhered to the first book, they're now starting to bounce around between book 2 and 3 this year, not keeping to the time frames that the books follow.

15. ethics

Which sucks. Book 3 is THE best book out of the entire set imho and you don't/can't go back between 2 and 3 because 2 is basically a set up for 3 but has ENOUGH to make it interesting, exciting, and adventurous to stand on its own for the entire season. I mean, you have only 10 episodes to work with and you have ENOUGH to keep it lively and viewers tuned in. Hell, that scene with Yoren's/Wall prospects vs. Red/Gold cloaks alone is amazing.

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I've read Book 1. Haven't started 2 yet. Will definitely do though.

17. ethics

And you should. It's a fast read if I recall correctly. Also, I felt the book does wonders for personalities like Stannis. Accentuates his empty character lacking charisma or anything of the sort that would make people find him likable.

18. SixofNine

From Sulu's Facebook page:

GoT_facebook.jpg

19. Biker

Is it me, or did they get Stannis completely wrong in the series? Especially with the physical attributes.

The more I watch this season's episodes, the more disenchanted I get with the entire HBO series.

20. SixofNine

I'm not feeling that way at all. I started Season 2 as a book purist, but have come to appreciate how good a job they do, given that they have to limit the number of episodes to keep up production values while staying within HBO's budget.