1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Dude, let me buy you the book? PM me your address.

1 person likes this.
  2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Moi? Seriously I'll have it in 1-2 weeks from LAPL. Maybe 3 weeks. TYVM anyway.

I hope I'll enjoy it as much as you imply. I'm sure the library reservation curve is much less steeper for the sequels. I'm sure the TV has encouraged the popularity of the debut novel.

Should I start a topic (topics?) about other fantasy series I've enjoyed? I have a few to recommend...

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Greg, are you on Goodreads.com?

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sorry Bob I never heard of it. Took a quick look at the main page... Comments/advice/suggestions?i Other than just joining?

I just checked my reading log today and discovered I've read over 3,000 books in the last 20+ years, more than 60 a year. Is that avid? :)

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

It's a handy way to make and receive book recommendations.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

Okay I'll look into it. Meanwhile I've had some great recommendations right here at GA. :)

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hopefully someone else is watching Season 03 02 too. If you're not, you might want to start. Some of the best TV on TV since Deadwood.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Huh? Season 2 just started in April. As far as I know, they haven't even started shooting Season 3 yet. :p

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

:oops: I've got an advance copy apparently. :doh:

Hey, how can do we edit posts wit this new software?

10. Biker

Click the edit button within the allotted time to do so.

11. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

It is awesome.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've just finished and enjoyed A Game of Thrones the book, and waiting for the second in the series, expecting to start it in a few days. Good series!

I expect both the novels and the final season of the TV series will conclude in the same year or nearly so: 2017. (2016 for the final novel A Dream of Spring and 2016-2017 to shoot it, airing in 2017.)

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Jeez, what's the allotted time frame? Less than 15 minutes?

14. Biker

30 Minutes.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

It was 5 minutes less than a week ago and you said it would never change, said don't even bother to argue. I didn't.

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

It's definitely less than 30 minutes...or it was when I made my last two posts in this thread.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

There's a post here that said it was 5 minutes and that it would never change. If the post isn't still here then I guess posts are another thing that might change.

Well what do you know, here it is right here:

There's nothing like a Draconian policy. That was April 17th, about 2 weeks ago.

If it's 30 minutes now then stone shifted, and evidently within the last few hours.

There's nothing better than protecting the members against abusive posters who change their posts within 5 minutes after posting them. Very dangerous to the forum...

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

I'm not interjecting or taking sides in any disputes between members or members and staff on the edit issue.

But I objectively say five minutes for me to edit is way to short. Others may fine it OK. I speak only for myself. That time was too short in my prime and at 66 it's way too short.

In the past the time to edit has varied widely over the years for the forum. And that's putting it mildly. I simply point that out for reference and not as a criticism or a contradiction or to challenge or call our anyone or what anyone else has said.

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I liked it when it was 24 hours. You could PUI (post under the influence) and then wake up the next day and read your embarrassing posts and edit/delete them. Yeah I did that a few times, and so did others.

Of course other members could quote you in your drunken ramblings and you couldn't edit their posts, part of the price to pay for PUI.

That has always been the defense against members who abuse a permissive edit policy. You quote their posts when they say something particularly objectionable. You can take back your posts but you can't take back your quotes that were quoted.

ETA: yes the edit window is now > 5 minutes. Unlike when I made the post to which the quoted reply above was in response to.

20. Biker

You can blame one of the members here for the short edit times. 24 hours? Not going to happen ever again. I will not put the continuity of the threads on this site at risk just because someone gets their knickers in a twist.

As for the 5 minutes changing to 30, if you want to bitch about draconian, I'll change it back. Everything I do under the hood is for the site itself. Short edit times are to protect the site.