1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Apr 20, 2011.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Did you catch the premiere on Sunday night? It's always dangerous to judge a series by one episode, but I liked the opening episode a lot. I haven't read the books and actually hit rewind to confirm who was zooming whom at the end ( :holyshit: ), but the settings with the different kingdoms are beautifully CGIed and photographed. And if Tim van Patten is directing your HBO episode, you know you're in good hands! Is there an HBO series in which he hasn't served as a director?

Good to see Boromir from the LOTR movies, Sarah Connor from the TV series, and an entire nation of Klingons. The obligatory, gratuitous female nudity was excellent, and they spared no expense on the violence side either -- good, relaxing Sunday night fare. :D

But seriously, it has the potential to be a very entertaining fantasy world to get lost in for an hour a week.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have it dvred. HBO already signed on for season two for this.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

That may be a good thing. One of the later books has upwards of 1,400 named characters in it. While many are only mentioned briefly, the books can get quite confusing at times. Good thing Martin liberally kills his characters off, even the main ones.

4. ethics

Which is why I love his work. You actually worry about characters here. There's not "heroes path" theme.

5. ethics

Fantastic 2nd episode. If you are not watching this series, you are missing out on an epic series.
    [​IMG]

6. SixofNine

What a world they have constructed, and they put some superb actors in it. You got a really good feel for the history between the king and Ned, and the actress playing Ned's wife was awesome. Love the dwarf! The scene in which he imparted some lessons in courtesy to the brat prince was great.

7. SixofNine

Oh, and I love the show's opening sequence.

Edit: here ya go:

8. ethics

Well hell, that was the best part. ;)
    [​IMG]

9. ethics

And best quote for me when wife and I just looked at each other after was...

"Home, I want to go home too, and I am willing to have him fuck you, and his forty thousand men AND their horses for me to get there..."

That was towards his sister he was giving (selling) away in to marriage.

10. SixofNine

Heh, yeah, what a nice brother. :D Speaking of which, the scene in which the servant women schooled the Klingon's wife in the ways of love was pretty awesome.

11. ethics

Uhm yeah. In many ways. :)

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I skipped through the past few recent posts to avoid spoilers...but just watched the first episode last night. Hopefully hit the second one tomorrow night. I very much like what I see. Refreshing medieval tale that isn't just the same old boring cliches and story lines. Very nice. Can't wait for more.

Oh, and kudos to HBO for once again providing plenty of nice boobs for our viewing pleasure. :thumbsup:

13. ethics

Second one was better due to getting the intro to the families out and over with. Also, as someone who read the books, there's much symbolism that is easily missed.

14. ethics

If you have not seen Ep 2, do not watch this. If you have, check it out:

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/episodes/1/02-the-kingsroad/video/ep-2-inside-the-episode?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC794

15. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Just adding that Rita and I are also dialed in on this series. That was also my favorite line, 40,000 and their horses... I sat up and went "HOO HOO HOOOOO!"

I wouldn't care if I were number 39853.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

After the men or the horses? :rofl:

17. ethics

Lol.. It's quite good but will get even better if they keep true to the book. I really don't remember the last time I was this excited for a series though.

18. SixofNine

This viewers' guide is helpful for those of us who haven't read the books. I guess there are a few more "houses" to be introduced. :laugh:

There's apparently a lot more contextual information provided with the episodes on hbogo.com.

19. ethics

Awesome.

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

OK. Episode 2? Incredible. I have officially forgotten all about True Blood.