1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GA Will Cease To Exist on Aug 31st

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jul 24, 2011.

1. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Not happy about having all my 'Picasa' family pics available to all on Google+.

Seems to be a case of agree to that or do not join. Is there a way around that?

2. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

My family Picasa pics require a log in and invite. If your album was open, then it would be open now, you should lock it and only set it to allow family members in.

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Any thoughts on just moving GA to a bullshit free forum server? I'd visit it. I mean, for me, it's all about friends, not about the platform. And G+ doesn't really impress me much, because it's another Facebook. You can't really invite people to the circle of friends the same, things like that.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I host my websites at 1&1.com for about $100/year. There is enough capability on their basic Linux hosting package to support GA's forum software with no problem at all, except of course it would be a step down from having a dedicated server. So it all comes down to $100/year and we could have the exact same forum we have now.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

GA has meant a lot to me, more than I could ever express in words. It has allowed me the outlet to talk freely about my medical problems knowing that I could do so among people who would listen and not be too judgmental. That is something that I would never do at any other Internet forum and it has helped me deal with some very tough times.

I have enjoyed the many threads and posts tremendously over the years even if I did not participate in all of them but simply read them to increase my understanding of others' views and learn new things.

GA has been a resource of learning that is without peer and I will miss that greatly.

I am signed on to Google+ and will look for GA over there and hope to continue the conversation in the future.

To one and all, Thanks and All the Best,

Mike

mike_daly@verizon.net

1 person likes this.
  6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sure, we can do that. Someone else work on it though and lead it, though. Too tired of that role. :)

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The last day of GA is a truly sad day for many of us. I joined in October of 02 so have been making this board part of my daily life for almost a decade with just a few pauses. I have never met any of you face to face but still consider you friends. I have said things on this board I have not always shared with friends or family. Part of that is the attraction of being able to "speak" without interruption. That gives the ability to complete thoughts and even provides the luxury of thinking over whether I am saying what I want to say. I have had some disagreements and have reacted rashly at times, yet I am still accepted even if chastised on occasion.

We have lost valued friends though death and even through disagreement.

I do not want to mention names or talk about my memories of individual members. Most of that is though the fear that I will not mention somebody through bad memory or momentary derailment of a thought. I would hate my last post on this board to unintentionally offend any of my friends. You have all been here though both joyous and sad moments in my life and all you will remain in my heart. I will see if Google Plus is workable but it is hard to imagine it working as well as this forum has. My distrust of the FB model extends to Google Plus but I will see what it can do.

I love you, man.

2 people like this.
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

That's easy to understand. I like the idea of moving to shared hosting (like at 1&1) but I too don't want to lead it. If we can find somebody willing to do the work would you lend the domain name? I once hosted a forum for somebody else on my shared hosting account and it worked fine, all I needed was for the domain owner to point their DNS to my server. In other words you'd retain ownership of the domain and can shut it off from your end at any time.

If anybody is interested in this maybe we should discuss it. The idea would be to collect about $100 for the first year, then on Sept. 1st we'd point the DNS at the new server and start out with zero posts and either the current software if possible or otherwise SMF.

Or Leon if you're adamantly against it then say so now and we'll forget it. Or at least I'll forget it. :)

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't get your hopes up too high, but I'm working on a way to keep things the way they are. If I can swing it, I'll take over the server payments and press on from there. Care too much about this place to watch it close its doors.

1 person likes this.
  10. Greg

Greg Full Member

A much better solution Tom. Just do it and I'll PayPal a contribution, and hope others will do the same. You've done a good job, I don't want that job, and I don't think people would want the forum if I took over the technical work. I'm much rather just PayPal a contribution and I'll do it as soon as there is an approved/agreed plan, and I'm pretty sure Jimeez and Copzilla would too.

11. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

Braz and I would be happy to contribute also. I hate to see this place go away

12. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Count me in as well. This place means too much to me and so many others and it just would not be the same in any other form. Whatever it takes to keep the place going, I'm there.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'd be willing to make a contribution also.

14. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

I lurk much more than I post nowadays, but had to speak up here as well. I gladly pay to play a game monthly, I would definitely pay to keep the content going here at GA.

Stay safe,

Jerry

15. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I'd be willing to chip in for expenses.
    I'm a lightweight on international issues and big finance, though, I just apply common sense and my own 2 cents to things, I'm not sure the Global Affairs title is the best one for me. Ever since I've gone semi-blue collar it's been a struggle just to keep up with smart people stuff.

The google plus format isn't great, especially on my phone, but it may satisfy my craving to post as long as it lasts.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Server isn't going anywhere. I'm taking over the payments and things will continue as is. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Best news I heard all weekend. Many thanks, Tom. :thumbsup:

I'm sure it goes without saying, but if you change your mind and choose to accept donations, just say the word.

18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Just to add. With Tom taking over, I am stepping down as an admin. I will be there as a backup in case Tom needs me but I'd really like to have some time off from being the go to guy. :)

Having said that, I am ecstatic that GA will live on, and I will be posting as I've been for years, so I am not going anywhere in that regard. :)

19. Morg

Morg The ultra-moderate

Three cheers for the Biker dude!!! :noworthy: :noworthy: :noworthy: :noworthy:

20. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Great news...thank you Biker!!!!!