1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GA Will Cease To Exist on Aug 31st

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hell of a run, folks. :)

With finances being tight--friends are in trouble, family need help, I am really strapped beyond. Besides that, there are MANY ways of continuing this elsewhere, without any money from anyone. If someone wants to pay for the server, let me just say it ain't worth it with all the different venues. Google+ can have a GA circle and anyone who wants to debate or post for all the GA folks will be able to see and reply to threads there. Similar things can be done in FB--although I am moving away from FB, but can definitely participate. Twitter is another venue, and many more other places where this can continue. There's certainly email too.

Primary reasons is cash. I've let money out to a few folks, only one happened to be a douche about it and not pay it back yet (unfortunately, it was the biggest loan I've had, only because I've trusted). But the problem is growing. My family is in dire situations, a few close friends are losing their jobs and homes.

I can't thank enough people. Primarily Tom, admins, moderators, and certainly all of the members we've had over the years. It was the best place to be for many years and you all made that possible.

Thanks and see you elsewhere.

P.S. the forum will be around till Aug 31st, this is the end of the contract for me and my hosting company. I will back everything up and take the database on my local drive, it will then be moved off to off-line backup storage. It will not exist anywhere on the internet if you are worried about privacy.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm very sorry to hear this, Leon, but I certainly understand why you'll be shutting it down. These are tough times, and we live in a totally different era now. I thank you, Tom, and all the others who have served as moderators over the years for all you did for us. I have a sentimental attachment to this place because for me it goes all the way back to 1993 on CompuServe. So many nice people, so many interesting conversations, and a few very sad events. Yes, it was a hell of a run as you put it.

I will be gone from August 15th until the evening of August 30th (visiting family in Nova Scotia). I'll try to come on on the 31st for a final goodbye. Not sure I want to get into Google+, so it'll probably be the end of the road for me with this group.
  3. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

It was sure fun! Let's move it to Google+.

I have invitations to whoever needs one.

Thanks Leon and admins, it was great!
  4. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

Ah, more transition. Seems a lot of that going around. The passage of time. I don't feel this is an end. I agree we'll continue with Google+. What a ride though. Thank you to everyone who was a part of the last 8-9 years of my life via this forum. A special thank you to Michael McConnel for inviting me all those years ago, trusting me with his special group of brainiacs.

Many forums came and went in that amount of time. Ours just moves on.
  5. ethics

Allene, if you should ever change your mind, you know where to find me. If not, feel free to email me with anything.

Couldn't have lasted as long as it did without the members, to be honest. But Tom, admins, and mods certainly put in a lot of time in to this place.

Well said, Fiona. Aug 31st will be an emotional day. :(
  6. ethics

Kinda indirectly sums it up for me.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Leon. Please send me an invitation to google+ AFTER my mail server comes up again. It's been down since late last night, but they're working on it. Who knows I might show up there later. Here's hoping it is better than all that stupid "like" stuff on FB. Please send the invitation via email because I may have lost your email address when Thunderbird ate some of my address book.

That cartoon is spot-on!
  8. ethics

Will do. G+ doesn't have games or other silly stuff.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. Wonderful news! I just couldn't see myself reading endless messages about trading animals on Farmville. I hope we can continue in-depth analysis of world events, etc. Do you think google+ will bring in more people? Also, does it mean having my photo plastered all over the place?

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

G+ seems great. I have no idea how it will work as a forum, however, with threading and stuff. So I'm gonna need guidance, like a blind puppy to her dish pls <3
  11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

OMG, I will miss this place and the people.
    1 person likes this.
  12. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

Has a hangout been created? Just for GA folk?

Hey Shiny, you don't have to miss us...

*says in luring trance voice* come to google plus...
  13. Allene

Allene Registered User

So we go from GA to G+. Neat! Misu, is G+ into lots of photos like FB?
  14. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

In case anyone wants to stay in touch, you can find all my contact info at http://about.me/bobmueller
  15. ethics

Bob, saw your feeds for a few days. Kept you in my thoughts with the lack of AC for you and yours. I don't know how you've managed but that must have been hell. :(

Allen, you don't put pics if you don't want. I have a few from FB and that's it. If I wanted to add, I will but it's my decision as is yours. :)
  16. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

This is really sad. I've learned a lot over the years and count many of you as dear friends. I've opened up on here, more so than in real life and I really value the friendship, at times even more than the debating of political talk. I am on G+, but I'm not sure where to go/what to do, but I certainly don't want to lose touch with you.
    A big thanks to all who were involved in this great forum.
  17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Will do, Bob, thanks! I'm sorry about the heat situation. I hope it breaks soon.
  18. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leon, oh that's good. I'm not too comfortable with that on the open Internet.
  19. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sir Joe,
    Definitely the friendship factor is important. That was huge over the years. This place has always been somewhere people in crisis could go and be heard. You can't always do that in real life. I have a hunch we were fairly unique as Internet forums go. We also reflected the society of our time and changed with it as it became more and more polarized.
  20. ethics

Joe, just look for my real name on G+ and throw me in any circle (friends, GA, or douchbags, etc... :))