1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GA Forum and Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am sorry I didn't get a chance to welcome each and every one of you. Aside from work being murder, I've been also working under the hood for some more basic requests.

* While I try to find a solution of appending Private Messages (PM's) I've increased the amount of messages one can hold in their private box from 70 to 200.

* Unbeknown to many, many of our international members are paying quite a lot to even come here. What I am doing is trying to implement a very complex system (under the hood that is) which will enable anyone who is a member to reply, post, and answer TO this forum, target section, and thread via email.

I am not even sure how close I am to finishing it but with many additions the greatest fear is to screw up existing functions. :)

* I will start working on the "default" theme, since many expressed their interest in it. I will need some graphics help since the banner seems to be all screwed up.

* A new version of forum's engine will be rolling out in January. I've been beta testing it for quite a long time and think they have a solid product already. For that reason, I've decided to migrate to vB3 as soon as it's available for download. It has too many things to list as far as functionality, ease of use, and power.

---That's WiP under the hood. As for the forum itself.

* Will be opening up a poll for the name of the new forum which will be much more "free" and graphic than anything this forum has ever had in the past. More details to come as the brainstorming is still being applied by many people.

Once the forum is named, I will be seeking legal advice and applying a system of entry for the forum. We should have a grand opening before the traditional family holiday of Thanksgiving. Oh and the thanks we will be uttering... ;)

As I've said early on, folks, this is YOUR forum, not anyone else's. If there's something you wish to see, post a suggestion of send me a private message. If you are a female, please send me a phone... Sorry, don't know what came over me there...

But in all seriousness, the more suggestions, the more functionalities and the more people will feel at ease using this forum, replying, and getting involved.

Once again, thank you all for giving us a chance.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Sounds great, Leon. We thank you for all the work you put into this. I would volunteer to help but I do not know a damned thing about the kinds of things you have to do, so I will instead offer Steve's services. He has been mumbling a lot lately about being idle, so you can do him a favor by putting him to work.

Re: " ...the greatest fear is to screw up existing functions. "

Just temember Murphy's Law. :)

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

The only thing I could see that the default theme was missing was to show how much site dollars one has. Couldn't get to it anywhere.

4. ethics

Correct, Misu. Default style is actually missing a lot more than the dollar store. I will, however, try to work on getting it to par with other styles.

I honestly didn't think anyone would like that style. So much for me knowing people. ;)

5. ethics

I think your subtle, and not so at times, humor is enough to keep me going.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I still like the Global Affairs name, and our current layout, I'm a sucker for nostolgia...;)

7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

If I had one wish for this forum, it would be to add a function that would notify if someone replied to one of my posts. It appears that messages aren't actually threaded, so I'm guessing that it would be impossible in its current state?

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Bastard. Dinner's on you next time.

SM

9. Sierra Mike

Re: Re: GA Forum and Work in Progress

There is an email alert, if that's suitable. You can activate it under your User Control Panel.

SM

10. ethics

Re: Re: GA Forum and Work in Progress

Rred, I share your frustration on this as well. I LOVE threaded views.

Guess what though? The version in a month or so will have an option to see the thread flat like it is now, threaded, or a combination of both. :)

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: GA Forum and Work in Progress

Hey, is your avatar Ultraman?! That's awesome! ;)

12. Sierra Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: GA Forum and Work in Progress

Why yes...yes it is. Ever since Sharondippity posted that link, I've been reading the whole site and taking a trip down memory lane, so I decided to abscond with one of the images.

Thing is, I think the avatar is bigger than the old B&W portable I used to watch the show on.

Next up--Johnny Sokko's Flying Robot!

SM

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

ethics, I sometimes have a light hearted whinge about how much time it takes me to keep up with the threads here. That must pale into insignificance compared to the time and effort you put in here developing the site. All of it done in such a good spirit too. A big thanks from me for that. You deserve all the kudos you receive.
    A slight problem I should let you know about though. I receive email telling me there is aPM sent but my inbox is full. I know for sure it isn't. Also I still receive email telling me a new post has been made to a thread that I have subscribed to when as far as I can tell I have not opted to have these emails sent. Nothing that can't wait to be fixed.

14. ethics

The inbox has two boxes, if you will. The INbox and the "Sent To" box. Switch over to that and click on the top most check box. That will mark all of your messages for deleting. Scroll down and hit delete button...

OFF TOPIC: I've seen MAJOR improvements to the new code of vB3 and they are closer to releasing it. If you guys think this was decent, wait till you see the new "car."

It will make everyone's life simpler, easier, and more powerful on here. :)

15. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Just a question...

Is their the ability to link to a particular post rather than the whole thread?

If there is I've missed it.

16. ethics

Yah, it's a little tricky though.

Mouse over to the quote button to find your postid.

Then take the following link and substitute the postids with the one you want:

http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=18016#post18016