1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GA Either Closes Down or Migrates

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, May 27, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

As I've mentioned, I've given over the server to Tom because I couldn't afford the extra monthly charges. With the ads gone, it's not a killer fee but it's definitely noticeable in my pocket. Tom has done a great job thus far but we are behind about 1 and 1/2 months. I've been trying to re-negotiate our contract, server, etc...

Best I got was a VM/VPS server vs dedicated one. VPS is under 10 a month, which is a no-brainer.

The problem is that we need to move the data over and I have neither the time nor the access passwords for this stuff.

I am just posting that in case you can't access the forum in the near future, this is the reasoning.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the heads-up, Leon. I hope things can be moved, but if not I understand.

3. ethics

I found something that won't cost us a dime. Has an option to contribute (REALLY cheap) if you don't want to see ads.
    The only thing is that we will lose all the posts from here.

But hey, if we want to move on and have something free, without any headaches...

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

That would be fine. Old threads are nice to dig up once in a while, but more than that, I don't want to lose the company of folks here in a forum format. I enjoy our discussions.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

What Copz said. Yes, it's fun to go back in time and read the oldies, but we actually seldom do that, and we have this HUGE membership list, most of whom have been gone for ages. It might be a good idea to start fresh. I say go for it.

6. ethics

Looks like an anonymous contributor came forth and offered (really a lot) of money to keep it here. So with those fees and I will add my own, we can keep it going until at least May 2015.

This buys us a lot of time as to what we can do before that day arrives, at the very least, we can at least port the old data with us.

Can't thank the person enough for his generous offer.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow, that's wonderful! A big thank-you to the generous donor.

8. ethics

As the drama with out current host turns... they've raised our monthly fees by 12%.

Sooooo, with the help of the funds I've received, I will be looking to keep the look and feel (and our database) but go elsewhere on a VM/VPS solution. Currently speaking with RackSpace.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

We have backups (done each night). I'll need a heads up as we're also hosting a static site for a women's shelter.

10. ethics

Who is the admin for that shelter? I'd like to give them a heads up now before we do anything.

11. Biker

Me. LOL

12. ethics

Oh, is anyone using it?

13. Biker

I make the odd change to the site when needed. But yeah, from what I understand, it gets a lot of traffic for that area which is really out in the middle of nowhere.