1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuck you Photobucket

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by dsl987, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The writing was on the wall. They've been making it more and more difficult to hotlink images from their site for a few years now.

What gets me is the absolutely ridiculous price they want you to pay in order to have the ability to hotlink images again.
  3. dsl987

dsl987 Member

They should have just started SLOWLY raising the price years ago. You know, like introduce it at $25/year for hot linking and warn people that it would probably go over time. Don't wait until you're almost broke and then tell folks they need to pay $400/year, that's ridiculous.

It doesn't really affect me directly because I've only got maybe 2 dozen pictures on their site, and I have backups of those pictures. It indirectly affects me and millions of others, because now when I look up how to fix X-Y-Z, google will probably return lots of sites on how to fix that gadget. Those How-To guides were probably written with lots of pictures that no longer work.

The amount of collective wisdom that was shared in helpful posts and is now useless is probably staggering.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Obviously advertising is working well for Imgur as they dropped the "Pro" accounts some time ago (kinda pissed me off when they did). I didn't mind paying 25 bucks a year for the Pro account that obliterated any and all advertising when you logged in.

If they were to bring back that model, I'd pay again in a heartbeat. I've been using Imgur for years now, and haven't had a single issue with them.