1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free or Low Cost Ebooks

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Piobaireachd, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Came in handy. I was looking for War and Peace (don't ask) and the only thing I was able to find was Audible.com and they had Brits doing the reading (they put me to sleep). This was a nice AND free surprise.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Check out Kobo's store. They have War and Peace (free) among a ton of other classics (also free).

App - http://www.kobobooks.com/smartphones

Books - http://www.kobobooks.com/free_ebooks

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks man, I needed an audio book. I have three different translation, including original Russian text on the book side. And aside from the Russian they are horrid translations. I can't see how ANYone thought these translations were good.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

http://www.pixelofink.com/ is a handy site. I've picked up half a dozen books in the week or so I've been checking it. 3-4 posts a day, with a short review.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Since I've never read it, I snagged it. It's going to take a while to get through it. :laugh:

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Nice topic, thanks for the initial list and the various contributions. It's going to take me a while to dig through them.

I've been using the Overdrive app on my iPad (I think it's Android too) and it has a nice interface to multiple libraries you pick. Books come in a variety of formats and I like Kindle best, on my Kindle app.

We have a very nice situation here in California. All the public libraries I've found will issue a card to anybody with California ID. I have five good libraries now, plus one in New Mexico that I'm no longer eligible for but as long as I behave myself I think they'll let me keep it. As ebooks are self-returning I should be good with that.

So I recommend investigating all nearby public library systems and get cards at all that will issue you one. The more you have the more likely you'll be able to find a book you want that is available for immediate check-out.

8. Amraann

Amraann Full Member

Thank you all for the links!

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm updating this just to encourage everybody to not forget their public libraries. All of them I have found offer Overdrive as a point of access (and maybe other similar apps). Overdrive manages all your library accounts and allows you to jump from one to another for search, check-out, hold, etc. Books are delivered through Amazon at no charge. You don't need to buy anything to have an Amazon account, not even a method of payment.

I've added more libraries in Southern California including Palm Springs, and now have access to the Greater Phoenix Digital Library (all the public libraries pooled). I own property in Phoenix so that qualified me for a public library card there.

Out of the hundreds of novels I've read in the last couple years I've paid for either 2 or 3, I forget. I might have to spring for a few more as I read the first of a good trilogy and haven't been able to locate books 2-3.

Santa Barbara, Orange County and San Diego ought to top off my collection of libraries. Hope to add them soon.

I hate dead tree books now but often libraries buy new books from best selling authors in hard cover before digital, and in greater numbers, so I'm often faced with read it soon hardcover or wait in line for the fewer digital copies. Having access to several or a dozen public libraries helps that.

And if I ever run out there's also all the out-of-copyright books already mentioned in this topic.

There's really little need to purchase books any more unless you want a hard cover reference, or you need to read an e-book on its publication date. I'll probably just pay for the last 2 (or will it be 3?) books in Game of Thrones. Not likely to be able to read it in the 2-3 weeks allowed before somebody else gets the library's copy, and don't want to wait months. LOL, like we haven't waited years already. I sure hope Geo. R.R. doesn't get run down by a bus.

Really, get a collection of public library cards going. Get tons of free e-books then.