1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free or Low Cost Ebooks

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Piobaireachd, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I just purchased a Kindle DX and I'm loving it! I've started to compile a list of places to find free or cheap reads. Here is the list so far:

Amazon Kindle Store Kindle Store. Sleeker design. More storage. Longer battery life. Over 670,000 books, newspapers, magazines, and blogs available in under 60 seconds. And now Kindle can read to you. Our revolutionary wireless reading device just got better.
    World Public Library Association World Public Library Association, Classic Literature Online, World's Largest eBook Collection, ebooks, free books, books, book, ebook, pdf ebooks, adobe, classics
    Welcome to Open Library! (Open Library)
    Feedbooks | Food for the mind Free eBooks, the best collection of free public domain and original books, read on any mobile device.
    :: Munseys : Over 20,000 rare and hard to find titles in 10 formats!
    ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader Thousands of free ebooks, pre-formatted for reading on your computer, smartphone, iPod, or e-reading device - ePUB, Kindle, eReader, PDF, Plucker, iSilo, Doc, RTF, Mobipocket, Newton Paperback, and zTXT ebooks ready to go!
    Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg
    Technical books online
    Internet Sacred Text Archive Home
    Bookyards.com » Library to the world Bookyards is your online public library to the world with a large selection of free digital books, ebooks, and journals, plus the largest collection of reference materials and educational resources for your educational and personal interests
    Welcome to the Christian Classics Ethereal Library! | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
    Online Books, Poems, Short Stories - Read Print Library A free online library, Read Print puts thousands of online books at your fingertips.
    Fictionwise eBooks: Free eBooks Fictionwise: Excellence in eBooks; Fictionwise is the world's leading independent eBook retailer. Thousands of eBooks by best selling authors are online to download for Palm PDAs, PocketPCs, PCs, and Macs. Both unencrypted and encrypted online eBooks can be downloaded in popular formats. Award winning eBook novels, short stories, and nonfiction.
    Baen Free Library Science Fiction and Fantasy Electronic books. Free ebooks from authors such as David Weber, Lois Bujold, David Drake, Mercedes Lackey and other greats.
    The Online Books Page
    Free Online Computer Science and Programming Books, Textbooks, and Lecture Notes :: FreeTechBooks.com Free online computer science, engineering and programming books, ebooks, texts, textbooks, lecture notes, documentations and references.
    Creative Commons Creative Commons licenses provide a flexible range of protections and freedoms for authors, artists, and educators.
    Literature.org - The Online Literature Library
    World Famous eBook Store - Diesel eBook Store World's Largest Independent eBook Store - 1.4 million titles. Free eBooks download section. Exclusive bundles in fiction, professional, academic, Harlequin romance ebooks. MSReader, Adobe, Mobipocket & ePub
    1001Books
    FreeBookSpot | Download e-books for free
    Free Programming Ebooks
    Free-ebooks.net | Download free Fiction, Health, Romance and many more ebooks Read and Download eBooks for Free - Anytime! Find the help you seek, the information you need or simply fun reading to enjoy
    Download Free Ebooks Getfreeebooks.com is a free ebooks site where you can download free books totally free. The ebooks which you find within this site are collected from all over the net or either personally compiled by me. If you think there are ebooks which you think that should be in this site, do let me know, or if you have your own free ebook, drop me an email and I�ll put them up right away. Start downloading free ebooks today.
    Free Computer, Programming, Mathematics, Technical Books, Lecture Notes and Tutorials Free Computer Books, Free Mathematics Books, Directory of online free computer, programming, engineering, mathematics, technical books, ebooks, lecture notes and tutorials. Very well categorized. Equipped with both pattern and keywords search engines.
    Scribd Scribd is a social publishing site, where tens of millions of people share original writings and documents. Scribd's vision is to liberate the written word.
    Smashwords - Ebooks from independent authors and publishers
    Girlebooks - ebooks by the gals We publish hand-made ebooks by women authors available in several ebook formats: PDF, PDB, ePub, Mobipocket, LIT and plain text. Much more than a simple ebook resource, Girlebooks aims to make classic and lesser-known works by female writers available to a large audience through the ebook medium. Original works by contemporary authors are available in our ebook store.
    eHarlequin | Home Visit the official Harlequin book site. See the newest novels, discuss with other book lovers, buy romance books online.
    Free Kindle Books Plus a Few Other Tips

2 people like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Pio, I love this list! Thanks for posting it. Could we get this made into a sticky?

3. Buzz

Buzz Full Member

to hell with that - writing a book is damned hard work - pay a fee to pay the writer - nothing for nothing

I am an author

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Well, considering one of those sites is Harlequin's own site, and the thread title includes the words "Low Cost," I'd say some of the authors are getting paid. Others may not want to get paid.

And if someone wants to give their work away, what's your problem with that?

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Sets a bad example for the greedy ones. :whistle:

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

Great list, thanks for posting it!

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Project Gutenberg specifically takes books that are in the public domain and converts them to e-books. They typically take books that the author has died decades back - authors like Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, etc. There IS no loss to the author there.

8. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Exactly. The books in these lists are either public domain, or released to the public domain by the author. Nobody is getting food taken from their mouths without their approval.

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I recommend Calibre, a neat free program that will convert any DRM free format book to another format. Convert your EPub to Mobi and vice-versa.

More freebies
    Barnes and Noble
    Kobo

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I just noticed that I created this topic in the wrong forum.

Please move wherever appropriate.

Thanks!

11. Biker

Done... :)

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Any way it can be made a sticky, so we don't have to go looking for it all the time? Thanks.

13. Biker

Ummmmmm. It was pinned already. :whistle:

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Aha-ha! You're as bad as my husband! I ask him to do something, so he goes off and does it, but doesn't tell me he did it. How am I supposed to know if he did it when he never mentions the deed, LOL? Thanks a lot, Tom!

15. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

16. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

17. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Did I miss seeing Google Books on the list or was it overlooked?

With my Nook this has been a great source of classic books.

18. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Yeesh, I tried to give this topic five stars and accidentally gave it one. :(

For the record it was meant to be a five-star vote.

19. LtC Dan

LtC Dan No horse too dead to beat

This is great. I downloaded Aldiko for my phone and use the Gutenberg Project a lot. I will certainly check out some of these other sites. I had to download the e-version of Monster Hunter Vendetta because the first book was so much fun. Program worked great! Also, Calibre is easy (has to be, if I use it).

20. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

http://librivox.org/ Free Audio Books