1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free alternatives to office

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Hmmm, my big concern was can these interoperate with the existing MS files:

OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org is both an open-source product and a project. The product is a multiplatform office productivity suite. It includes desktop applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program, with a user interface and feature set similar to that of other office suites. OpenOffice.org also works transparently with a variety of file formats, including those of Microsoft Office.

Localizations of OpenOffice.org are available in 27 languages, with more being constantly added by the community. OpenOffice.org runs on Solaris, Linux (including PPC Linux), and Windows. Written in C++ and with documented APIs licensed under the LGPL and SISSL Open Source licenses, OpenOffice.org allows any knowledgeable developer to benefit from the source.

EasyOffice: EasyOffice is an office suite that is compatible with Microsoft Word and Excel. Features include EasyWord, for word processing; EasySpreadsheet, for creating basic and advanced spreadsheets; EasyPresentation, a PowerPoint-like presentation tool that includes animated art; EasyBookkeeper, an accounting system that can produce classical income statements, balance sheets, aged receivables, and expense reports; Easy Contact Manager, with hot lists, mass e-mails, and form letters; EasySpeaker, an English-speaking voice module that can read your documents and e-mails to you; EasyZip, a full-fledged compression tool; and EasyHelper, which includes extensive online tutorials and help.

Version 3.34 includes the creation of PDF files, an ancestors backup system, a fail-safe undo, a heuristic file retrieval system, EasyCalculator, easy insertion of international characters, enhanced access to PowerPaste, an enhanced spelling dictionary, a thesaurus, a grammar checker, enhanced voice read-backs, an enhanced integrated contact management system, and one-click, no-reboot control of file associations for EasyWord, EasySpreadsheet, and EasyZip.

And 602Pro has the following: Description
    602Pro PC Suite is an integrated office suite that is compatible with Microsoft Office documents (types DOC/XLS), and is designed for computers running Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP. The suite includes a word processor, spreadsheets, a graphics editor, and a photo album. The suite allows users to process several types of information, including text, numbers, pictures, mass fax/e-mail communication, Web pages, and labels or bar codes. 602Pro PC Suite supports creation of templates with guides. It also offers a simple way of creating HTML documents, even if you don't have any knowledge of the language, and is designed to perform well, even on slower PCs. This version includes increased support for DOC/XLS format, MS Office XP look and feel, the added ability to password-protect documents updated thumbnail-printing features, and a photo-album print option. It is now possible to create a document with multiple languages per page, and the new extended spelling checker supports seven major languages (English US/UK, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese). The newly added application, 602Album, provides an intuitive digital picture organizer.

TO be honest they all look good. Perhaps I will play around with all three when I have more time.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I like, use and recommend OpenOffice. StarOffice is based off of it. There are only a few benefits to the StarOffice version (I hear it does a better job of importing some files, and some other stuff).

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Star Office is rather free with the registry modifications in windows, is OpenOffice Linux only?

5. Techie2000

OpenOffice is multiplatform. Star Office, well jamming you shouldn't be doing that...

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Hey, I know what I am doing (well mostly) and I always back up my registry before I modify. I was talking about the install routine for StarOffice makes changes to the registry above and beyond the usual.

7. Techie2000

Oh okay. I was thinking you modified the registry to pirate the software...

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Well I could do that but don't. I use to be a programmer and I still want all my royalties from the once innovative work I did in Power Control Systems, so I respect the work property of others. Royalties, one reason copyright good.