1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

France declares war on Belgium -- over beer

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

France may not want to go to war in Iraq, but seems to have no qualms about starting a trade war with a neighbor -- slapping tax on Belgian beers.

Excerpt:

French Beer Tax Upsets Belgian Brewers
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:49 a.m. ET

CHIMAY, Belgium (AP) -- Father Omer lifted his head from the huge vat where his beloved Trappist ale was brewing to address an issue which is vexing producers of Belgium's great beers.

"The French are playing tricks on us,'' the soft-spoken monk said, before offering a more saintly thought. "But, of course, we still love them.''

Seemingly out of the blue, the French government is moving to impose a steep tax on beers with over 8.5 percent of alcohol content, threatening to put many of Belgium's famed specialty brews in serious trouble.

It will cut out their prime export market and jeopardize several microbreweries who have helped forge Belgium's gastronomic image around the world.

"I see nothing good coming from this kind of trade war,'' said Belgian Foreign Trade Minister Annemie Neyts in an interview Tuesday, arguing France was trying to curb the growth of Belgian specialty beers on its market at the expense of local beverages. "Too bad they have gone down this road.''

More: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Belgian-Brewing-Battle.html

I guess the appropriate response is for Belgion to levy a large tax on imported wine and cheeses.

2. claire

claire Registered User

We have enough cheeses in Belgium not to be forced to import French cheeses(even if they are very good and tasty) but Belgium's governement is thinking of adding taxes on Champagne
    We will see how it ends.

In last resort Belgians can always raise their own consumption(already high) of Belgian special beers:) :beer:

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

If this comes to blows, I say we need to smuggles Claire out to North America (Canada or the US, her choice).:)

4. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Frodo,

I'll remind you this in due time;) :)

5. Robert Harris

But she will have to bring a large supply of Belgian beer with her. :)

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Is Belguim mobilizing a platoon to fight France?

7. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Shiny Top,

Before belgians invade France with their heavy armed
    platoon ;) there will be talks on the 4th of February
    between the two governements:)

8. Robert Harris

Ah, a meeting to allow the French to surrender early -- before a shot is fired or a bottle of beer broken? :)

9. claire

claire Registered User

Frenchies are afraid of the heavy armoured belgian platoon;)

The French governement decided today not to raise special taxes on the belgian special beers.

As Caesar said

"Fortissimi sunt Belgae";) :) :beer:

10. Robert Harris

Congratulations.

11. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Has anyone or anything in history ever folded as easily and quickly as the French ?? Just wondering ;)

12. Robert Harris

Good question. The Italians have a reputation for not being militarily energetic -- except when using machine guns and airplanes against horsemen with spears, as they are reported to have done in Ethiopia. Don't know how reliable the stories are, though. Perhaps some of our military history experts can give definitive answers.

13. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

depends on if you count the whole Roman Empire thing. Not sure when Italy in its current form was created and its history, but certainly the people there had a glorious military history one way or another. France, aside from Nappie's very short tenure hasn't had too much success that I can remember.

14. Robert Harris

Teh armies of the Roman Empire were formidable, conquering most of Europe and North Africa. Bit I was thinkiing mainly of modern times, leaving out the Roman Empire which has been defunct for centuries.

Current Italy was formed around 1860, wedding together numerous independent states. I think that they wore themselves out in the constant warfare between various dukes and the like and then the wars of unification, and I do not think Italy has been a major military power since. Last major conquest was, I believe, Mussolini's conquest of Ethiopia.

Of course I could be wrong, and maybe there were some great military achievements that I just cannot remember. :).

15. Sacchiridites

Sacchiridites Banned

WAIT! we're talking about bier here.
    What is going on with the German beer, there, Claire?
    :)

16. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Sacchiridites,

German beers were not concerned because none of them is as strong as the belgian special beers.
    AFAIK they don't sell very good on the French market.
    The belgian beers on the contrary are a major competitors for French beers that's why Frenchies tried to pass this law:beer: :)

17. Sacchiridites

Sacchiridites Banned

MMMmmmm Beer! I like them all, don't drink any.
    You Dutch (not Dutsch) and your beer!
    Thanks, Claire!:)

18. claire

claire Registered User

As matter of record only I am not Dutch but Belgian(for us the difference is as important as between USA and Canada;) ):)